_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mirror Model CMP
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC
Regarding Mirror Models CMP's - can any of them be used as a prime mover, for example the 17lb AT, without modification? I was going to use Tamiya Quad but it's really a crappy kit!
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 02:29 PM UTC
The short, but unfortunate answer for you is, "no", I'm afraid.

15 cwts were too light to act as prime movers, except, it could physically tow a 2 pdr or 6 pdr at least for short distances over roads, but was never used as such in any offical capacity.

The Otter & C15TA were in too high a demand for their regular duties to be used as prime movers.

None of them were sized to tow something as heavy as a 17 pdr or 25 pdr.

Afraid you're SOL.

Paul
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 02:46 AM UTC
I thought the CMP had the same capacity as the Quad.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi Biggles,

Agree with Paul, the CMP wasn't powerful enough for the job, more likely a Morris Quad. The Paras used a cut down version of this during Op Market Garden.

You could probably use the Chevy Gun Tractor if you don't want to use a FAT, depending on what time/place.

Cheers

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 06:03 AM UTC

A little bit off topic here as I don't know the answer to your question but I saw Mirror models test builds in the Flesh at the Irish IPMS Nationals last weekend. Libor had his whole range there and I have to say they look fantastic. They should be available very very soon as well.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought the CMP had the same capacity as the Quad.

There were lots of CMP vehicles in lots of different capacities.

They came in 8 cwt, 15 cwt, 30 cwt and 60 cwt sizes. (1 cwt= 1 hundredweight = 112 lb = 50.8 kg) Roughly 3/8 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 1/2 ton & 3 ton capcities. Both FOrd & GM made all of the sizes and most of them came in 2x4, 4xr4 and the largest came in 4x6 & 6x6 as well.

The Mirror Models vehicles are all in the 15 cwt range at the moment. The Ford, Chev & Morris Quads were all considered 30 cwt vehicles in terms of chassis & tire components.

Mirror Models are saying they are planning 30 cwt vehicles so you ccould use components from the 30 cwts with cut down chassis & additional fittings plus much of a CMP cab and soms scratchbuilding to make a Ford or GM Quad.

Or you could wait until they make one or both quads because with all these parts, if they stay in business, I can't see them NOT making one or more quad variants eventually.

HTH

Paul
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A little bit off topic here as I don't know the answer to your question but I saw Mirror models test builds in the Flesh at the Irish IPMS Nationals last weekend. Libor had his whole range there and I have to say they look fantastic. They should be available very very soon as well.

Pat,

Did Libor have an Otter there yet?

Paul
 _GOTOTOP