Hosted by Darren Baker
WIP: On the edge of the cornfield
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 08:03 AM UTC
Photobucket is being tempermental again and is displaying the unedited photos and so I will post these couple of pice to begin.

I am thinking of adding a fence, maybe a farmcart, too. I have not yet decided whether to add German figures using the tank as a bunker or have it recaptured by Russian troops. The cornstalks are JTT HO scale products and stand 4 scale feet for the purposes of this diorama.

GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 02:28 PM UTC
This is such a cool idea! I will definitely be trying one of these in the future. The corn looks good too
Ironmike
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 03:04 PM UTC
How about a nice scarecrow wearing a German/Russian helmet? MiniArt has one from their Russian sniper kit. A couple of snoozing soldiers would be cool also. Very nice dio so far.
Ironmike
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC
I was thinking about a scarecrow, but worry that it might make the scene look like something from the Wizard of Oz. Unfortunately, Miniart does not make a 1/48 scale scarecrow, unless I missed it on their website.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 09:05 AM UTC
You could always scratch build a scarecrow? Get a torso from a non-military looking figure, drill a hole in the bottom of the torso for a post, probably a grill skewer. Drill three more, one for each arm and one for the neck, insert a bit of 'hay', add your helmet and you should have a pretty decent looking scarecrow.

I like the little scene you've got going on here, it works well for a myriad of scenes. Though I have to ask, you're going to do something to the ground right? It looks a bit lack-luster right now.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 09:14 AM UTC
I added some long grass on the periphery and some more corn. You can see pics of this on the posting entitled Updated: On the edge of the cornfield. I've also added a barbed wire fence but haven't photographed it yet. I'm trying to keep a balance between having it look rustic and menacing. Fortunately, the HobbyBoss T-34 kits have such a detailed interior that it is possible to do fun, unusual scenes like this one: a captured T-34 with a Panzer III commander's cupola, cannibalized for parts and dug in as artillery and used as a bunker.
 _GOTOTOP