_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbrushing Terms...
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 09:27 AM UTC
To steal Sabot's sig line..."I'm not young enough to know everything." I have, for a long time, wondered about these two terms.

1. Overspray. As in "I gave the model an overspray of armor sand." Can someone explain how this is done? Do you thin the paint more than usual, do you spray over the model instead of directly onto it?

2. Dusting. A dusting of green. How is this done with an airbrush?

I have a couple of Airbrushing books, and browsed through another one this weekend, but have never found the answers.

Thanks folks.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 01:16 AM UTC
If I post a reply to this it will bring it to the front again. I also would love to hear some info on this. Thanks
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 03:19 AM UTC
The way I see it is like this
Overspray has to me two meanings. One is litterally more paint than you want (probably on the carpet or the kitchen table :-) ) The other is a complete spray of one colour that covers all of the model (like I've just done on my tank kit, I've covered the light grey of the base plastic with an overall german sand colour.

Dust spray or Dusting is something I do with an earth brown paint up onto fenders and along the sides to represent road dirt. But - I have seen some models where (say) the tank is given an over all coat of dark panzer grey, then when that's dried a light touch of another colour, probably light gull grey or similar to just settle on the model and give it a sense of the top layer of paint being bleached by the sun or weather in general.

But, that's how I'd describe it. Let's hope we can get a bit of discussion going to get some other opinions... :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 04:03 AM UTC
Aitch is for the most part correct. IMHO, 'Overspray' and 'Dusting' are actually synonymous, and for the most part a matter of semantics. Overspraying is a more general application of the medium, while Dusting is more localized. As in, dusting the lower half of an AFV to simulate road dust. Or, dusting the damaged part of a set of ruins to simulate damage by fire or explosion.
To add another possibly confusing term to the mix....how about 'Clouding' or 'Filtering'...........
Anybody?

Tread. :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aitch is for the most part correct. IMHO, 'Overspray' and 'Dusting' are actually synonymous, and for the most part a matter of semantics. Overspraying is a more general application of the medium, while Dusting is more localized. As in, dusting the lower half of an AFV to simulate road dust. Or, dusting the damaged part of a set of ruins to simulate damage by fire or explosion.
To add another possibly confusing term to the mix....how about 'Clouding' or 'Filtering'...........
Anybody?

Tread. :-)

Yeah, I would like to know more about this filtering too. I know there is an article about it, but just can't really visualize it.

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:11 AM UTC
Sarge, thanks for bringing the post back out. I had forgotten about posting it.
And thanks to all who responded.
Now, when doing a "dusting" do you alter the paint/thinner ratio or the air pressure settings, or both, or neither?
What I realy need is a class on airbrushing. But any I have seen offered had notheing to do with models.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 01:16 AM UTC
I second that Bush. An airbrushclass.... Is there somebody out here that is able to do such a thing ??
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I second that Bush. An airbrushclass.... Is there somebody out here that is able to do such a thing ??

Maybe Jim can setup a chat on airbrushing. Or maybe someone could do an article on it?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sarge, thanks for bringing the post back out. I had forgotten about posting it.
And thanks to all who responded.
Now, when doing a "dusting" do you alter the paint/thinner ratio or the air pressure settings, or both, or neither?
What I realy need is a class on airbrushing. But any I have seen offered had notheing to do with models.

Hi Charles,

This is what I do for dusting, I use Tamiya Buff (Can't remember the number}, I thin it about 40% paint and 60% thinner. Then adjust my airbrush to spray wider pattern, then limited the paint flow to medium, then spray them from maybe half a foot away to give it a dust feel. And for mud, I use Gunze Sangyo's weathering paint, I don't know if you can get them in the States or not, they are 6 in a blue box thing, with mud, sand, rust, soot, and another 2 color, then I thin the mud paint to about 40/60 also. The airbrush setting is same as I spray buff, but I spray them more close to the model, maybe 4 inch or so. This I do mainly to the substructure, and when I spray to the part that joins with the super-structure, I pull the airbrush a little back, to spray some mud on the superstructure.

I found that Tamiya Flat Earth mixed with flat black (steal that from Greenland's book :-) ) also works well for the mud thing.
 _GOTOTOP