_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
SS in Italy?
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 09:43 AM UTC
I'm doing a build for the Modeling a Photo 2 campaign, and I can't quite tell if those soldiers are regular army, SS, or maybe even a Luftwaffe Field division? I can just barely see camo on them, but it's hard to tell what kind.

Maybe they're part of the HG divisoion?

Ze picture;

Any info would be great

-Conor
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Conor, no doubt those troops are wearing LW Field Jackets/smocks in which seems to look like Sumpftarnmuster 43.

-ralph
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Conor, no doubt those troops are wearing LW Field Jackets/smocks in which seems to look like Sumpftarnmuster 43.

-ralph

Ralph, thank you so much I was thinking it might have been splinter camo, but it's definitely not. I'm not sure if you have any better an idea then me on this, but do you think they've got trench coats, or something like that, underneath those smocks?

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

-ralph

Ralph, thank you so much I was thinking it might have been splinter camo, but it's definitely not. I'm not sure if you have any better an idea then me on this, but do you think they've got trench coats, or something like that, underneath those smocks?

-Conor

Conner,
They are wearing the regular German Army winter overcoats under the cammo smocks.
You can probably rule out the HG Div because at the time (March44)that unit was using SS cammo smocks but then,having looked at German uniforms for lo these many years,I could be wrong as there were so many variations in uniforms this late in the war.
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 07:42 AM UTC
Yeah I thought they were overcoats too.

I'm thinking this is the right camo for them?

It's Sumpftarnmuster 43 like ralph said.

That Elefant in the background is actually the one that was on Tank Overhaul. Now I gotta find out what division it's from...

Too much work in this hobby, but I can live with it.

-Conor
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 01:08 PM UTC
Conor, unit fielding the Elephant in Italy would be Kompanie 1./sPanzerjager Abteilung 653.
Also as Jerry said it is a fact that panzergrenadiers of Panzer Div."Hermann Goering" were issued Waffen SS oakleaf smocks. However, Pz.Div HG was a Luftwaffe unit so they also would have had access to LW Field Div smocks, as did fallschirmjager troops.
Found a photo in my book "Panzers in Italy" by Concord Publ. that show HG panzergrenadiers wearing LW Field Smocks over the heavy Greatcoats as they walk by a Pz.V Panther, very similiar to the pic you posted and HG shared the same field of combat as sPzjager Abt 653 and other independent tank units in battle against American units in this area. So all reference and their evidence would point to those panzergrenadiers in your pic as being of Pz.Division Hermann Goering. I'm sorry I didn't think of checking my book among a couple of other refs. Hope this helps you.

- ralph
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 01:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the info, that really helps. Would it be worth it to download the book?
 _GOTOTOP