Hosted by Darren Baker
Material for Sculpting or Repairing Figures
fificat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
I am getting more bold in my figure work. Even add eyes now. I need to modify two French tankers, and wonder what to use to make body parts and to extend coats, etc. I saw on one thread the chap talked of using "Duro", but this appears to be a European thing.

What is the best sculpting material to use in doing this kind of work, in your opinion? I have used Squardron white putty, but am not happy with this at all. Mixing it with liquid glue is better, but not really satisfactory.

If you can also mention the best place to get the material you recommend, I would appreciate it.

TIA
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hi

Duro is the old name of a two part epoxy putty now sold as Kneadatite, or it's other common name "green stuff". It's sometimes used as a material for making master figures for moulding. It it good for fine details but doesn't sand or carve too well.
Games Workshop stores sell it under the name GreenStuff, but has it's usual high price attached.
There are many other vendors, but I'll let someone else answer because I don't know the US sellers

Common alternatives are Magic Sculpt,and Milliput both of which have more similar properties in that they can be carved and sanded once set.
Again, do a search on these names and you should find an online retailer

All three products are two part epoxy putties, and have a 3(ish) hour window before they set - unlike the squadron stuff which I think will set very quickly as it's designed as a filler.

hope that's some help
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 07:35 AM UTC
I'd highly recommend Magic Sculpt for a beginner. It is easy to work while still soft and also carves and sands with ease.

Start small and get used to the material and build on that.

I'd also suggest visiting a figure specific forum such a planetfigure or timelines forum where you can see detailed sbs's on sculpting various figures.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 02:44 AM UTC
Actually, 2-part epoxie putties are available in hardware stores, automotive depts., etc. and are probably a lot cheaper than specialized 'hobby epoxies'. In all fairness, they may not be as refined as the more expensive ones, but they are more easily available and are good to practise with.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 03:00 AM UTC
I use a 2 part epoxy putty called A&B. It is a plumping product and available in a lot of hardware stores. When searching for stuff like this it is ALWAYS cheaper to find a comparable product not sold in hobby stores as their markup is usually pretty high.
J
 _GOTOTOP