_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Decent T-55 kit.
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 01:52 AM UTC
Could somebody out there point me in the direction of a decent T-55 kit in 1/35th?

I have heard the trumpter ones are not very good so where should I be looking?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 02:22 AM UTC
I'm no T-55 expert but I think that Tamiya's kit should be the best pick

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tamiya/tam35257.html

HTH

Frenchy

SDavies
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 02:46 AM UTC
I agree, Tamyia has set the standard for this cold war tank.
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
Cheers guy's you have confimed what I was thinking. The Tamiya one it is then.

Paul
sabre1866
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi Paul.
Oh yes Frenchy and Steve have it spot on. The Tamiya kit is the benchmark
for the T55 kit, it is a real beaut but will benefit with three upgrades,
1,the tracks, try Friilmodel (metal) or Masterclub (resin)
2, A turned metal barrel, several available
3, The external fuel tank plumbing will need to be added. There are a few ways to
acheive this but it is a relatively easy bit of 'scratching' that will really enhance the finish of the model.
There are a multitude of references on the web (most, if not all available from Mauro, I'm sure he'll be in touch)
With thousands produced and in use globally, there's plenty of scope

Enjoy your build.

Rog.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC
Yes, I'd say that the Roger's tweak list is correct. Anyway you should decide what version you'd like to reproduce

There are some differences beetween the Russian, Czech and the Polish made T-55s. Even the late Russian T-55 were different from the early one. If I were you I'd wait to buy the track links. As I've told you you should decide your exemplar before.

Anyway, feel free to ask me if you need reference pics, and information

Cheers
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 09:22 AM UTC
FWIW, I don't see any need to replace the kit barrel. It's the right shape, the right size, and has very good detail on the fume extractor on the end. With some time with some sandpaper, it is perfectly useable.

There are a few 'small' tweaks here and there on the kit, but it's very good right out of the box.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

FWIW, I don't see any need to replace the kit barrel. It's the right shape, the right size, and has very good detail on the fume extractor on the end. With some time with some sandpaper, it is perfectly useable.

There are a few 'small' tweaks here and there on the kit, but it's very good right out of the box.

Yes, that's true. But Tamiya gun barrel is two piece molded so it's likely to need a filling. Considering its shape, that would be quite annoying. Morover it doesnt' represent the inner raised ribs (is it the right term?...), so replacing the kit part isn't necessary, but , in my humble opinion ,the Aber metal barrel (item number 35L-07) would be the best solution. As you can see, inner raised ribs are nicely reproduced on it

Quoted Text

I totally agree.
If you decide to reproduce a Russian version, you'll have to make the wading rail around the engine deck. Otherwise for Polish or Czech versions they would be needfull many other jobs
Morover, there's a little error on the fenders. Tamiya has made a raised reinforcement rib on them. On the actual exemplar, that rib is engraved

Anyway, that's a minor flaw which is easy to correct

jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, that's true. But Tamiya gun barrel is two piece molded so it's likely to need a filling. Considering its shape, that would be quite annoying. Morover it doesnt' represent the inner raised ribs (is it the right term?...), so replacing the kit part isn't necessary, but , in my humble opinion ,the Aber metal barrel (item number 35L-07) would be the best solution. As you can see, inner raised ribs are nicely reproduced on it

Quoted Text

I totally agree.
If you decide to reproduce a Russian version, you'll have to make the wading rail around the engine deck. Otherwise for Polish or Czech versions they would be needfull many other jobs
Morover, there's a little error on the fenders. Tamiya has made a raised reinforcement rib on them. On the actual exemplar, that rib is engraved

Mauro,
They are called 'lands & grooves' which then is referred to as rifling in a barrel.
I wish my other languages were as good as your English.
Hope this helps.

Jake
jkb_sprint
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 06:55 PM UTC
Good morning everyone. Paul i hope you wont mind me taking advantage of your thread to ask a question the knowledgeable guys on the T 55. I have the Trumpeter T 55 with the BTU 55 and i was planning for it to be my next project. Which T 55 does it represent best? Soviet, Polish? And what needs correction on it to make a decent T 55? Thanks in advance guys.
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 07:59 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for the assistance. I Was planning either on a russian one or maybe a cuban one?

Paul
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good morning everyone. Paul i hope you wont mind me taking advantage of your thread to ask a question the knowledgeable guys on the T 55. I have the Trumpeter T 55 with the BTU 55 and i was planning for it to be my next project. Which T 55 does it represent best? Soviet, Polish? And what needs correction on it to make a decent T 55? Thanks in advance guys.

Hi John. As far as I know, BTU-55 was based on Russian made exemplars. It was mostly emploied by Soviet, Finnish and former Yugoslav-Serbian armies

Regarding the kit, I bought a Trumpeter T-54 some time ago. Trumpeter Btu-55, T-55 and T-54 have lots of parts in common. Uufortunately I'd say that the kit is quite ugly.
Its main flaw in my opinion is that it looks at least 2 mm too high and too narrow than the actual subject, but these are inaccuracies which are really hard to correct.

The starfish wheels are totally wrong, it would be better to replace them with some resin ones
Unfortunately its vinyl track links are awful because they are too stiff and roughly done. However, I think that it doesn't worth the pain to buy the expensive Friultrack for this kit. You'd rather get some cheaper alternative such as the Trumpeter plastic track links.
The Engine deck looks a bit too simplified and main engine grills and hatches are too small. If I were you, I'd try to scratchbuild the deck, rather than trying to emprove the kit part.
Turret looks decent, but the MG loopholes are too small. The gun headlamp has a wrong shape and is too big indeed.
On the lower hull there's an oval hole that you have to close with plasticard and putty. That oval hole is there because originally the kit was provided with a small electric engine...
Lower hull details are wrong, but in the end this part will be few visible.
So, to obtain some decent results from this kit, it would be needful a huge effort... Personally I've decided to use it only to get some spare parts

cheers

PS. Cuban T-55 are Russian made exemplars

hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 06:53 PM UTC

[quotte]
PS. Cuban T-55 are Russian made exemplars

[/quote]

Thats what I thought but thanks for the confirmation.

Paul
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats what I thought but thanks for the confirmation.

Paul

There are few pics of them on internet.

Bison decals produces markings for Cuban tanks

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/cuban-tank-markings/5393/

http://www.angelfire.com/pro/bison/35.html
sabre1866
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 06:31 AM UTC
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I totally agree.

Mauro,
They are called 'lands & grooves' which then is referred to as rifling in a barrel.
I wish my other languages were as good as your English.
Hope this helps.

Jake

Sorry, I haven't read your comment. Thanks a million to have improved my technical vocabolary!
jkb_sprint
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 10:25 PM UTC
Thanks a lot Mauro, for the very detailed answer! I think i'll build it anyway, just at a later time. I want to see if i can modify it enough, to look more like it should. At least i can work on my scratch building skills.
 _GOTOTOP