_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1:40th M1 120mm AA gun - Adams/Renwal
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 03:38 PM UTC
Hi all,

Well, I'm about to strip this one, break it down into its component parts and rebuild it as accurately as I can get it. It's the old Adams "Stratosphere Gun" kit and it scales out to just a hair over 1:40 scale.

I sat next to our 120 today and compared the model. What I found was very surprising. I was astonished at just how accurate the kit was, even with all of the toy-like features (folding legs and seats, elevating and recoiling barrel). The biggest differences I noticed were the lack of flare at the end of the barrel and a few other minor details.

The 120mm M1 AA gun was standardized in 1940, but production did not really gear up until after the US became involved in WWII. Because the gun was too big and too heavy, it made overseas deployment difficult and the majority of the 550 guns produced remained stateside throughout the war. One battalion, the 513th AAA Gun Bn did make it to the Philippines in January 1945, although they saw no combat. According to several online sources, "several batteries defended London from the V1 menace", although I have yet to find any visual or primary source documents indicating such.

bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 06:01 PM UTC
that looks like a preety cool build,i will be watching with inerst,good luck.
 _GOTOTOP