Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamyia 1/25 Tiger. What is it?
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 03:14 AM UTC
Ok, so I had dreams of detailing this thing and rebuilding most of it to make an accurate detailed model of this thing. I've realized now that it's beyond my abilities, budget and desire to come anywhere close. I've decided to just build it OOB and make it look pretty.

My one question is, what kind of tiger is this? I know it's got problems all over, but It's gotta be based on some version of the real thing. I don't know much about tiger production runs and I want to at least paint the thing right. If you tigerphiles can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. TIA.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi, I'm far from an "expert" but I'll see if I can help. According to a couple of my books it looks like this would be a mid-production vehicle probably from some time in 1943. It does have some traits of the early models, like the drum copula, dischargers, and aircleaner system, but it also has the mid production mantlet, later exhaust covers, and turret mounted track links.

As for paint, this tank could have just about any paint scheme used by the Germans, though the 3 color scheme would have probably been field applied (unless the tank had been sent back for a major overhaul).

Hope that's helpful.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
This kit would be a lot of trouble to fix. Most things are slightly out of proportion. There are too few track links, i.e. the pitch is too large.

Tamiya didn't go beyond Bovington museum, it seems. The kit represents a Feb/Mar 1943 tank specifically. Most of these went to s.Pz.Abt. 504 in Tunisia but a couple went to Russia.

David
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 03:48 PM UTC
Thank you both very much. David, as you said, the tank needs more work than its worth. I'm gonnna build it oob just for fun, paint it yellow and call it Tunisia. Thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP