Smoke Grenades Decals?
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi,
I know this is a bit of a long shot but is there a manufacturer who produces decals for the US M18 smoke grenades used in Vietnam?
Or has anybody made a sheet at home who would be willing to email them on to me, please?
Thank you for your help.

Joe.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I know this is a bit of a long shot but is there a manufacturer who produces decals for the US M18 smoke grenades used in Vietnam?
Or has anybody made a sheet at home who would be willing to email them on to me, please?
Thank you for your help.

Joe.

It's been 43 years since I had one in my hands, but it seems to me that they were grey with black lettering. Perhaps I'm wrong (as usual)! The lettering was very mutted, and not all that large as well.
glt
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hi Joe,

have a look at this site:

smoke grenade decals

I know itīs 1/6th scale but you can use it as guide to make yourself with decal paper and printer. If you mean 1/35 scale than i didīnt konw any manufacture who produce these. In 1/35 it is very tiny but possible.

Greetings

Stefan
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hi again Joe,

here is another great site for many usefull Declas/prints.

prnt items

Greetings

Stefan
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hey Stefan,
These are great! Just what I was looking for!
I'm not really a computer "nerd" so can I scale these down on the computer to 1/35th scale & then print them onto decal paper?
Excuse my ignorance, please, but how do I do it? Doh!!
Thanks for sending these links through!

Joe.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 11:32 AM UTC
You could make decals yourself, but I wouldn't bother with it. Just print the images on paper and wrap them around the grenades. I have two styles of flash bangs at home and that's how they are done, except the wrapper is plastic rather than paper.

Edit:
I just looked at that site for the 1/6 decals. It seems it would be just as easy to generate your own image on Paint and scale it down. I know from having made a full sized stencil the correct font is available.
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 06:26 PM UTC
When I get back from my trip, I will re size my 1/10th decals and print them in 1/35th.
I have had a few emails from customers about this, so why not.
Here are the 1/10th M18 Smoke Grenade version.

Cheers Jason

Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi Joe,

youīre welcome , like Robert says i would too use these only as guide and make myself with an drawing programm. If you only scale down them you loose quality and the width of the letters and numbers is good for 1/6 scale but is not working in 1/35 scale. I have try it out and it doesnīt work but i am not a graphic prof. Itīs not a so big deal with corel draw for example. Itīs important how big/width are the letters and the thickness of the colors by printing. I have try it out with an normal inkjet printer from Canon on photo paper and it still works very fine after some trying. It looks like the Original but you could not read every single letter. Itīs an great improvement for these grenades for sure. I use an professional technical CAD software for it because i have the luck to work with such software every day. So i can easily scale down everything without Problems to my wanteds scale and can draw a new one using the 1/6 scale ones as template.

What Jason said are really great news and i have seen his great Decals in use at Planet Figure for the Vietnam Hue RTO bust from Young Miniatures like you can see at his link. It looks awsome. This one professionel done in 1/35 on Decal sheet by him would be perfect.

Greetings

Stefan
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi Stefan,
Its starting to sound all a bit complicated for me, the computer illiterate!

Jason, I've PM'd you mate. Get back as soon as, please?

Joe.
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Joe,

no Problem, i know it sounds difficult. I would also wait for Jasonīs Decals because you get top qualitiy for a fair price. I will wait to see them on a 1/35 scale grenade first and i think it will be much better than my try.I also donīt want to spend to much time for it to try out and also i have to buy decal sheet which is not cheap when i can get a top product ready to use. So we will wait for it.

Greetings

Stefan
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 03:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words team.
Art work done, just need to try them out on a couple of different companies M18's.
Also done the same for 1/16th ACM35878.
Cheers Jason
Low res
1/35th

joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 07:25 PM UTC
Excellent! Cant wait to get my hands on these!
Thanks Jason!

Joe.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 07:38 PM UTC
Jason, that's great... I was really looking forward to these decals in both 1/35 and 1/16 scale. Since so few printers can actually print white, I used "reverse printing" and white decal paper but never got the results I wanted. This set will be a life saver.

Cheers,
Mario
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 12:50 PM UTC
Got my hands on the Arms Corp Models 1/35th M-18 Smoke Decals today.

WOW!!!

Joe.
 _GOTOTOP