Hosted by Darren Baker
Malaysian IFV K200
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 12:33 AM UTC
My entry for the APC campaign will be the Korean built K200 (KIFV) built for the Malaysian Army in the 80's and still in service today.

The kit is from academy and will be built more or less OOB but with a few bits from the spares collection and the grills from a photo etch sheet. As for tracks I am undecided on whether to use the kit Indy track links or an old set of tamiya M113 rubber band tracks.

So far I have built the road wheels, idlers and drive spockets along with most of the main hull but with a few little bits still to add there.

This is the pic I am basing my build on with a few minor changes as there are a few details I can't quite lock down.

More later

Paul
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 05:36 AM UTC
Well after about 3 hours all the indy links have been removed from their sprues and cleaned up. The only problem I found a lot of sink marks on about 1/3 of the links. Firtunatlty they all seem to be on the out side of the track so to be honest I can swing it so they can't be seen!Now all I need to do is build the tracks....

Paul
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
I shall follow with interest!
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
A few bits I've been able to knock together over the last few days. I havdemainly been adding the various hatches and some of the hooks and other bits. I have also knocked together the base for the kit. It will be just a fairly bare piece of muddy ground with the odd tuft of grass for intrest.

More at the weekend when the weather here might be a little better and I can get away without having to use the flash to get a pic you can see anything in.

I must admit I have mnade one assumtion regarding the large hatch at the rear. I have decided to put the attachment brackets for the M60's but I think I will leave the weapons themselves off. I will be putting the front one on along with the 50cal but that will be all.

Paul
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 06:14 PM UTC
Paul,your build is looking good,cant wait to see it finished.
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 10:45 PM UTC
Well I have been a little busy over the weekend and to be honest I am pretty much ready to paint(Once I get some more Nato green!).

The main thing left to do is the tracks. As you can see from the pic below there are a lot of sink marks but I will be using these in the lower runs where they can't be seen.

I thought about filling them but as they will not be seen I can't see the point.

The comanders cupola I just need to fit and paint the 50 cal and gun shield.

Sorry for the picture quality, while plasic on white plastic does not photograph very well!

Paul
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 10:57 PM UTC
I have decided on a correct-ish paint scheme, Nato green. I will order all the markings from Archer next week.

AR35105W Nato Force Markings White
AR35106W Nato Force Markings White
AR35107W Generic Lettering White

The only real problem is laying my hands on some Malaysian flags I am thinking that I will just have to print them off and glue them on !! not the best solution but the only thing I can think of!
I also need to find a set of archer generic numbers here in the U.K!

I am gonna need to sizes of the flags I will sort out the sizes once I have the archer stuff

Paul

_GOTOTOP