_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
tarnishing Friul Tracks
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi there,
Iīve been using Friuls for quite a while now and I normally
paint them with enamels. But this evening I read, in the library, a short text that states "I used a mix of vinegar and bleech on the tracks, but be carefull as this produces harmful gases" . Not very discriptive, huh?
Has anyone else heard of this?
If so what are the mix ratios?
How strong is the vinegar?
Could there be a reaction with the Cyano glue that holds the track pins (explosion/poisoness gas/spontaneous combustion)
I would be very greatful for any infos, before I go to my cellar and blow the house up
Paul
azadro
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
I clean the tracks with vineger and dry them off. Than i soak the tracks in blacken it, for 5-8 min, and that should darken the tracks....
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 06:42 AM UTC
Paul,

I would not recommend that mix as it will produce chlorine gas, quite nasty!

I have used Blacken-it like Tony and presoaked the tracks in vinegar. One thing to keep in mind with Blacken-it is that cyano glue will prevent Blacken-it from tarnishing the metal.

Nate
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi Nathan,
what the f .
Thankyou very much for the warning, I got the tip out of last months edition of "Scale Military Modeller International". That mag is sold everywhere, I just hope no unknowing people try this out. That is dangerous.
I shall wright to them and tell them to check what they print in the future, but I doubt itīll change anything.
Again thanks for the warning
Paul
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 12:31 PM UTC
I have found that when using blacken-it, it is important to wash the tracks after soaking to stop the reaction. If not they will continue to weather and darken.

At least it has happened with mine. Other's results may be different, but I do love the stuff.

J
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
All: I seem to recall the chemical for Gun-Bluing also works in lieu of blacken-it? Is this correct? I can get Gun-Blue easier than blacken-it here, and I'm about to do my first set of Friuls. Thanks in advance for any info.

Happy Modeling, -zon
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi all,
thanks for the info, I have a bottle of tarnishing fluid
from "Uschi van der Rosten". I was just looking for a cheaper way of doing things. I just hope nobody out there
gets hurt doing the vinegar and bleech thing, I sure ainīt
going to try it.
Paul
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 03:00 AM UTC
Using 'Blacken-it' works, but it seems to be hit-or-miss. I've seen one modeler achieve a brownish patina, but I have been unable to get that; usually a blackish-greyish staining. The links should be submersed before linking them or attaching them in a container filled with 'Blacken-it' with constant agitation to disloge any air bubbles trapped in crevises in the track links. Air bubbles will prevent contact with the solution. And keep an eye on them! There will be no apparent changes for several minutes, but then the process will develop rapidly. If you leave the links in the solution too long they will really look ugly . And 'Blacken-it' weakens with usage and time, so you can't reuse it too often.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 03:29 AM UTC
Mike Roof provided an excellent SBS on using gun bluing agents here:

Tracks
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 06:55 AM UTC
James: Many Thanks for the link!! That's the one I was remembering, but hadn't bookmarked. Now to the store!

Happy Modeling, -zon
 _GOTOTOP