_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
rubber band tank tracks
toolman
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC
I have an old kit from Heller and the tracks are so bad I have to glue them but no mater what I use it does not stick to the tracks, not even super glue. Can anyone offer a suggestion,

thanks

chris
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 03:33 PM UTC
Have you tried epoxy glues?
toolman
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 04:38 AM UTC
yes, and it does not stick...
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 06:43 AM UTC
Back in the day,we used to staple the track ends together, then paint the staples to match the track, then locate the join at the least visible place.
I'm going to assume(???)this is not a contest quality model or you would consider Fruiels or other indy links.
Hope this helps,

Jake
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC
Chris, I was thinking about this the other day when I joined the tracks on the Airfix King Tiger. One track I joined with hot glue from a glue gun; it did work, but it was a bit messy looking. The thing with hot glue is that it remains flexible. The problem with CA glue is that it is brittle and hard - I believe it has high tensile strength, but poor shear strength.
The other track I joined with transparent beading thread, which is stretchy filament used for making bead bracelets etc. but equally I know people have sewn tracks with cotton or button thread etc.
But it is possible to buy instant glues that are designed for joining rubber or soft / oily plastics such as polypropylene. Try searching for "soft plastics" adhesives. Can't really guarantee any of them will work though... chemistry is a picky thing.
toolman
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 03:23 PM UTC
I did end up using string, but it does not look that good. I can get by like that, but I'm just amazed nothing will stick to it. I wonder how it will paint????
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 03:56 PM UTC
Chris:

As John stated, staples work pretty good I use a normal desk stapler just remember to place the track on the stapler where the staple will hold the best (2) staples and the trick is to press down in a slow steady motion do not try the slap style it never works. Thread works great with a needle, using a needle threaded with black thread I cut a 12" piece of thread then use a normal stitch to mate the tracks together and after I am pleased with the job I then use CA to cover the thread and they will hold forever.

Bob
toolman
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
I did not try hot glue, thanks for the tip.

I think heat / melting the tracks into the plastic wheel might be an option. but only on the inside where it is not seen.

This is a bit risky if the temps are not perfect. I will save this for desperation only.

chris
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder how it will paint????

The Heller vinyl (not "rubber") is not a wholellot worse than other vinyl tracks, i.e. most glues don't glue them and most paints don't stick to them. Period.

I've always used the hot blade method on rubber band track, but it can be a real crap shoot to get the temperature just right so the track nub melts securely into the receiving area on the track without over melting the track & deforming it or under melting it so it pulls apart when you stretch it over the road wheels & sprockets.

There's seldom a chance for a second try. Second tries almost guarantee a botched job and the requirement for a well placed blob of mud over the damaged area...

Well cleaned tracks will accept paint to the point where it will not fall off on its own, but flex the track, even just a little (like when dry brushing!) and it flakes off like mad.

Paul
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think heat / melting the tracks into the plastic wheel might be an option. but only on the inside where it is not seen.

That sounds like a really bad idea. Either heat the mating areas on the track to melt them togheter or do something like sewing them together. Trying to melt the vinyl to the styrene isn't likely to aork at all, if for no other reason than the incompatible nature of the two plastics.

Also, vinyl generally melts at a lower temperature than the styrene so you end up over melting one while trying to get the other soft enough to join.

Not a good plan, methinks.
 _GOTOTOP