_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55 Camo .
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 10:06 PM UTC
Hey guys .. need some help here .. i am trying to find good colour pics of the camos used on T-55's in Russian service.

I haven't been able to find any good pics on the net so hoping someone ( Mauro ) might have some good pics i can use .

Any help here would be greatly appreciated .

Phill
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hi Phill, have you called me?

They were mainly painted in Russian green, but there were also many exceptions.
I can collect referenxe pics for you, because as you can imagine, my HD is full of them. However, I'm quite busy with my job these days, so please, be patient.

While you're waiting, try to use for your internet reserch the original Russian nomenclature

танк т-55

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 12:44 PM UTC
Hey Mauro mate ya know i have been thinking of painting this beast Russian green ..never done that before ..everything i seem to paint is camoed one way or another so yeah green it is ..which raises another question .
What green would you say is best for Russian green ???

Phill
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Mauro mate ya know i have been thinking of painting this beast Russian green ..never done that before ..everything i seem to paint is camoed one way or another so yeah green it is ..which raises another question .
What green would you say is best for Russian green ???

Phill

Phill,

Ah, the age old question......

Just wish I knew.

Paul
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hi Phill , this may be just what you are looking for , Englishrussia.com has loads of original photos of tanks in service and past their used by date , click on the right hand side under ARMY , there is over 700 pages of info on uniforms . aircraft , ships , subs and missiles , bunkers and tanks etc . this is just a sample page of the info available cheerrs ian
http://englishrussia.com/2011/10/08/what-should-be-done-with-old-military-equipment/#more-70981
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 10:09 PM UTC
Paul ,,, Oh yeah mate thats age old question but hell ya never know ..it might get answered

Ian ... Mate that page is bookmarked for sure ,,there is so many great pics on there and hell some of those pics shock the hell out of me ,,on one page theres 2 abandoned Mil26 Halo's ..2 of them just sitting there to die ..so many things left and no body seems to want them ..oh trust me .... I DO !!!!

Phill
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 10:23 PM UTC
Russian green, an endless story

So,in my opinion, (but is just an opinion), the closest one for the ww2 Russian tank is Tamiya xf 51 khaki drab. According to some Russian references the "infamous 4bo green" was closer to the US olive drab. Lots of guys paint their Russian models in different shades of green, actually it was more similar to a brownish color.
Regarding the post war tanks, the answer is quite easier

Valleyo model Air 71017 Russian green is the best one.

If you're wondering how does it look, look at the recent Karl's job

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/197043&ord=&page=4

Some good alternatives in my opinion are

Lifecolor UA 138 RLM-80 34098 or UA 006 34127
Tamiya XF 58 or XF 67 (to depict a faded shade)
Gunze aqueus hobby color H80

Anyway, as you know, weathering and washes can change everything

Interesting indeed. I've already seen these pics. This camo scheme is quite rare. I suppose it's a temprary one
Sandy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi , the cammo seen is not a temporay one , it is infact one of several types based on the same pattern but using different colours . I have over 650 original photos of many russian cammo styles and types. The oddest is the following Olive drab base , with yellow and black strips in a wavy pattern.
The base colour Olive drab is not very stable and fades to a mid pea green or grey green .
I had a file showing 0ver 60 photos of various scrap yards , full of tanks waiting to be scraped , the colour combinations was staggering .
So I hope I have helped to answer your question about Russian cammo . cheers ian
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi , the cammo seen is not a temporay one , it is infact one of several types based on the same pattern but using different colours . I have over 650 original photos of many russian cammo styles and types. The oddest is the following Olive drab base , with yellow and black strips in a wavy pattern.
The base colour Olive drab is not very stable and fades to a mid pea green or grey green .
I had a file showing 0ver 60 photos of various scrap yards , full of tanks waiting to be scraped , the colour combinations was staggering .
So I hope I have helped to answer your question about Russian cammo . cheers ian

When you say "the same pattern" do you mean the 3 tones scheme?

It seemes to me quite different from them, anyway
do you have some other pics depicting that strange and interesting camo scheme?

Quoted Text

I have over 650 original photos of many russian cammo styles and types.

Lucky you! I hope you wont' mind sharing some pictures with us

Many thanks for the inpho
Sandy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hi I would like to help you but the photos are not mine and I do not own the copyright so I am unable to post them on any web site . The research I work on is based on trust .
I can only quote on what I see in a given photo.
Those who know me in the UK , know I will always try to help them with information based on 30 years of research into the Russian military. cheers ian
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those who know me in the UK , know I will always try to help them with information based on 30 years of research into the Russian military. cheers ian

Well Ian,if you don't mind, I think I'll bother you asking for info...

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP