_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
REVIEW
Resicast Heads w/ Wolseley Helmets
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 11:02 AM UTC
Alan McNeilly takes a look at a set of five resin heads with Wolseley helmets from Resicast.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 05:20 PM UTC
An interesting choice for a resin head set, thank you for the review.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 09:32 PM UTC
Good review Alan Thanks.
The Wolseley Helmet was worn as far back as the Mahdist War (Not sure if many model this in 1/35 ) by Kitchener's men and also suitable for WW1 troops- would make a nice addition to the crew of a Rolls Royce Armoured car
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi pat,

There were a lot of different styles of helmet around in the 19ht century. The Pity Helmet was the main stay being more pointed at the top and for military use had a spike for cavalry and infantry or a ball for artillery attached on to it. These were worn until about 1902. With the introduction of Khaki Service Dress a new helmet was introduced more akin to what we see here. The Old style Pity Helmet was worn until 1914 as formal dress and is still used today by band and drums of various regiments.

There were various civilian types that crop up too and military versions made from straw appeared during WW1. I think I'd attribute this type to the late 20/30s onwards, there are examples of similar civilian styles form the 1900s If you want to go pre-WW2 then check your references.

These and similar types could be found all over the world.

Cheers

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi Alan
It's a fascinating topic and though I haven't got photos of them I think my uncle Tim might have worn one in his army days in India in the 30s and my Grandfather may have worn one in Mesopotania in WW1.

Although most of the photos showing the wolseley being worn are from the 20s and 30s there are some showing it during and even before WW1. Officer's helmets were most likely private purchase items which would account for the slight differences in shape in some photos.

2nd Battalion the Gloucestershire Regiment in Macedonia 1916-1918

the surrender of the city of Jerusalem to the British Army 1917

Winston 1898 Sudan

Here's what Stuart Bates (Author of The Wolseley Helmet in Pictures: From Omdurman to El Alamein ) has to say

Quoted Text

The Wolseley helmet was around from at least 1896 - the start of the Sudan Campaign - but I have seen a photo of General Sir Gerald Graham, who led the campaign against Osman Digna in the Eastern Sudan 1884-1885, which shows him wearing at least a precursor to the Wolseley. His staff are all wearing the Colonial Pattern helmet (Zulu/Boer Wars etc.)

The Wolseley pattern was sealed in September 1899 and was first mentioned in the Dress Regulations, for officers only, in 1900 but only for the West African and Chinese Regiments. It was worn, unofficially, by officers in the Sudan and the 2nd Boer War but mostly by staff officers in the latter because of the accuracy of the Boer marksmen.

It was mandated for officers serving abroad in the 1904 DRs and spread to the army, as a whole, by 1910. The Wolseley, and its predecessor, the Colonial Pattern were supplemented by various sola pith helmets in the late 19th and well into the 20th Century. This was because of the cost of cork vs. sola pith and therefore the desire to make the cork Wolseleys last longer.

This looks like a great set and even better that the helmets are seperate from the heads

I found a great pic of British soldiers and a light truck in Palestine in 1938. What type of truck is that do you know? Is it too much to hope it couldbe modelled using one of the new Mirror model kits
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 10:27 AM UTC
Plus we now have the possibility of modelling the most famous wearer of the Wolesley Helmet in WW2, the founder of the Chindits Orde Wingate
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 04:24 PM UTC
Hi Pat thanks for the WW1 pic, I knew they had them but couldn't find a decent pic to compare.

The truck looks s like the CS8 which plus models have a kit of. I would like to dream that MM will do a plastic version of that sometime in the future.

Thanks for broadening the topic.

The early helmets seem to have a cross over cloth band around them though which these don't show. Units patches and insignia were stitched to this form what I've seen.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP