_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
What is my scale?
CaptnJim
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi Armorama mates,

New to site today. Looks great!

Figure question. I am building a 1/8" - 1' Brig Niagara from AJ Fisher Modeling. http://www.ajfisher.com/kits/brig_niagara.htm

Could you tell me:
-the scale I am working with? (i.e. 1/78, /144, etc.)
-are there any War of 1812 American Navy figures in this scale?

I have spent many hours on the internet trying to figure this out and well . . . why not talk to the experts. Thanks!
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I reckon that 0.125" = 12" is about 1/100 scale, this is normally referred to as 15mm scale. Unfortunately I don't know of any manufacturers that make American Napoleonic Naval figures in that scale. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Paul
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi,

1/8" -> 1' = 12"

12" divide by 1/8" = 96 so the scale it's 1/96

HTH
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

While I am no expert in 1812 war, I quick google search got me to a set of British Sailors of the Napoleonic era. They are made by Hät Industries and are in 1/72 scale. Maybe this is close enough, but I don`t think there are any figures of the US Navy of the 1812 war in 1/96 scale available.

HTH
Hans-Hermann
offramper
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi Jim, yes it is 1/96 as others have said. You can get 1/100 scale figures as architectural models but of course you will have to alter and paint them as sailors of your chosen era. Also you may like to look at HO figures. American HO is 1/87 scale which is going to be more sympathetic to your model than the military 1/72 although you may find something close to 1812 US Navy uniform in 1/72. The 1/87 are more likely to be civilian or railway officials but there are a lot out there!

Dave
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I reckon that 0.125" = 12" is about 1/100 scale, this is normally referred to as 15mm scale. Unfortunately I don't know of any manufacturers that make American Napoleonic Naval figures in that scale. Hope this helps.

1/96 would be 19mm for a six-foot person, so anything in the 15mm to 20mm range would look in scale. Poking through Google to see what surfaces turns upNewline Designs with a range of 20mm Napoleonic naval miniatures, Thoroughbred Models with a line of 15mm War of 1812 naval miniatures, and Capitan Miniatures with a line of 18mm Napoleonic-era US Navy figures, as well as other nations and generic sailors.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

1/96 would be 19mm for a six-foot person, so anything in the 15mm to 20mm range would look in scale. Poking through Google to see what surfaces turns upNewline Designs with a range of 20mm Napoleonic naval miniatures, Thoroughbred Models with a line of 15mm War of 1812 naval miniatures, and Capitan Miniatures with a line of 18mm Napoleonic-era US Navy figures, as well as other nations and generic sailors.

I have never seen the Captain Miniatures before, they look as if they are actually designed for model ships, excellent quality. Just shows what's out there if you ask the right question of Google.

All the best,

Paul
jeffsmith99
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
CaptnJim,

Did you complete your A.J. Fisher Brig Niagara? Is it still an on-going project? I have been considering starting that model as well, and wanted to find out what your experience was with it. How did you like it? Any pics you can share? There aren't a lot of pics of this model online...

Thanks!
Jeff
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi, Jim!

Here are my "2-pennies' worth":

In such a small scale, 20mm or 1/96, or 1/87, i.e. the American "HO" model railroad scale, or British "OO" model railroad scale, the height-differences in the figures' size, visually-speaking, are going to be very minimal...

Also, and this is important to many figure-modelers, ESPECIALLY in the larger scales, one should take into account that most humans were quite a bit shorter in our earlier historical times, right on up to the middle of the 20th Century. Of course, there were some "6-footers" around, but they were a distinct minority in comparison to the rest of the human population.

I don't know for certain, but I think you MAY have some luck with the US-based AMERICAN SHIPWAYS, which specializes in all types of ship models and ship-detailing supplies. Sorry, I don't have a link for you at the moment, but you should be able to find them via GOOGLE.

In addition, I believe you MAY find that EDUARD Model Accessories may be able to fill your needs in small-scale Naval Personnel; these are made of photo-etch and are pre-painted, but unfortunately they are only two-dimensional. Again, in such a small scale, that may not be so noticeable. I'm pretty sure that EDUARD manufactures 1/350 and 1/200 scale Naval Personnel, but "I'm at Sea", ( ) in regards to the larger scales which you happen to be working with. It's worth a try, at least...

You might also try your luck on Ebay for any of the above- There are literally thousands of hobby-suppliers that list a veritable GALAXY of different products on Ebay...

No, I do NOT work for Ebay,

Admittedly, I do A LOT of shopping on that site. For example, I just bought a case of (6) O.E.M (Original Equipment Manufacture) Engine Oil Filters on Ebay for $45.00 USD with FREE Shipping. That's a pretty darned-good price for those particular Oil Filters. That's $7.50 USD per Filter, which VOLKSWAGEN usually charges at LEAST $12.00-$15.00 EACH for the exact same Filter, depending on where one wants to get "ripped-off"... I'm VERY particular when it comes to buying stuff for my car. She only gets CASTROL Full Synthetic Engine Oil, and 91-93 Octane Premiunm Fuel, too... (Turbo-Engine, you see..)

Good Luck in your searches and let us know how you've fared...
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 06:11 AM UTC
There is also a set of 1/96 Civil War naval figures from Cottage Industry Models; they'd need some work to backdate them, but they're the correct scale.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 06:16 AM UTC
Guy’s you do realise this is a 7 year old dead thread as the original poster hasn’t been on the site since he posted.
Cheyenne56a
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 08:50 AM UTC
Then why is this listed under "Latest Posts"?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 09:00 AM UTC
Because jeffsmith99 found the 2012 post and replied to it, then others did the same. As soon as someone posts in a thread, it is a "Latest Post". The Latest Posts lists the most recent replies.
CaptnJim
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 09:29 AM UTC
To the webmaster: "ye have little faith!" CaptJim here!!!!! Seven years isn't that long in the scale model field!!!!

On to Jeff: yes the Brig Niagara is still an ongoing project. I purchased the kit about 15+ years ago with the intent to build the model and display in my office. Wellllllllllllll, I retired in August and the model is not complete! Anyway, it is on my to do list among other projects (man, you wonder how you did this stuff when you did work!!!). On to the model. I will get some pictures but to say the least you pretty much have to make all the parts then do the assembly. That is the point I am at. About 95% of the parts are complete and now I need to assemble it. I probably have about 500-1,000 hours into just the parts construction (that's honing the hull, shaping all the masts and booms, cannonaires and racks, hatch fittings and it goes on and on). I would recommend you buy everything from Fisher as to go to other sources would probably be difficult. I went a little over the top researching and then completing the parts but as we scalers know its not scale unless it looks real. So let me get some pics. It is a nice model and a good display size. I think probably better to display than that one that is like 47" that someone sells. I'll try and get them by weeks end.

IN the meantime where is the "button" and how do you upload photos?
CaptnJim
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 02:06 AM UTC
anyone help with how to post photos?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

anyone help with how to post photos?

Posting pics thread.
Removed by original poster on 04/11/19 - 19:26:34 (GMT).
jeffsmith99
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 07:52 AM UTC
CaptnJim

So here is how I uploaded an image successfully using the KitMaker Gallery:

0. Make sure the pictures aren't too heavy. KitMaker only gives you 10 MB of photo storage total.
1. Gallery
3. "My Photos" then "Upload Photos"
4. Follow the instructions on the upload form
5. Once all your pics are in your "My Photos" section of the Gallery, click on a photo thumb to display the full photo
Right Click on the photo and select "Copy Image Address" which will save a link to the photo to your clipboard
6. reply to the forum
Then follow this step to add the photo to your reply:

Did it work? I am looking forward to seeing your Work-In-Progress Brig Niagara!

Jeffsmith99
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hey Jeff, Let me save you some grief. Even with the steps you've followed, you will run out of space quickly using the KitMaker Gallery. I suggest subscribing to imgur for your image hosting needs — it's FREE. For starters, imgur features 'image drag-drop,' manual image sorting,' and a pleasant interface — generally more user-friendly. IMHO. In addition, there are apps available for iPhone/iPad and Android.

—mike
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 09:29 AM UTC
What Mike Freeman said.
I also use imgur, dead easy.
Drag the image from your computer (folder view or whatever) and drop on the target pane in imgur.
Click the uploaded image and copy the BB/Forum linking provided.
Paste the image link in the Armorama/Kitmaker post-editing window. Done and dusted.

It will be interesting to see that ship model
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP