Opinions requested
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 04:11 AM UTC
OK, here's the subject:

Now the question. Would this be considered a piece or armor, or would it be considered an aviation subject?

Now the sundries...

Photoetch has not been drawn yet
The scale is 1/32 scale
No price has been set
No release date has been determined.

Discuss...

Jon

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
1/32nd scale is more of an aircraft scale now but that is all I can really throw into the mix.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
Having an fully open cab normally suggests a vehicle is not "armour"...
Is it a Cletrac airfield tractor? I knew that without having to look it up of course!!

The point is I suppose, what other vehicles might it be displayed alongside in a diorama or such like?
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 04:32 AM UTC
YES YES YES! (of course, I've gotta put a request in for 48th too).

The Cletrac has been overlooked for far too long. The only option out there has been the one included in the ancient Monogram B-24 kit and it is maddening trying to make anything accurate out of the blob of plastic provided.

Looking forward to this one!

Jon
Removed by original poster on 10/22/12 - 17:03:11 (GMT).
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:12 AM UTC
I knew I forgot something. You are correct that this is an M2 High Speed Tractor, or Cletrac. Mostly used as an aircraft tug, but was tested as an artillery tractor.

Jon
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi Jon,

I'm conversing with someone in Eurpoe who's working on a 1/48 scale version. We've been swapping info to be sure we're both finding the right information.

Jon
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now the question. Would this be considered a piece or armor, or would it be considered an aviation subject?

Well, from a contest/organisational point of view, it would definitely go into the military vehicle categories, however, your sales are going to be almost exclusively aviation modellers because of the scale. If it was in 1/35, the armour guys would buy it by the cartyload and the plane guys would mostly shun it. Kinda got to pick where the majority of teh sales were, but I'd agree with the 1/32 choice as, on the surface, there seem to be more aviation modellers than AFV modellers.

BTW, cool little kit and, if it was 1/35 I'd want one, but in 1/32 it just doesn't fit with my 1/35 stuff.

Paul
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
If it showed up at the registration table at a show that I was responsible for, I'd allow it in as a soft skin military vehicle as long as it was in the correct markings.

I could see someone building it in civilian livery as some sort of construction or emergency vehicle, so if it showed up like that, it'd probably wind up in an appropriate civil-automotive category.

If it was paired with a 1/32 scale aircraft, it'd most likely go into an aircraft diorama category if one was available.

Beyond that, the details of the build would have to determine any other possible categories.

It looks like a very nice kit, though.

In so far as marketing, it's not an "AFV" since it's not armored and wasn't ever intended as a "ground forces" vehicle. Definitely a military soft skin, though. However, it's a subject pretty much limited to either a stand-alone soft-skin model or more probably in a combination military aviation build.

I just don't see a lot of "AFV" builders taking it on. Airplane builders, though, might be a lot more interested in it, in the same way as they might be interested in any other airfield support equipment.

Just my .02.
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 10:46 AM UTC
Jon,

Something was striking me as odd about it and I just realized. Looks like you've got the windshield too far forward on it.

Jon
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 12:36 PM UTC
Hi Jon,

I thought so too, but the mount for the windshield is right at the rear firewall of the engine compartment just in front of the gas tank:

Jon
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 12:50 PM UTC
I must admit scale is the issue here, hard to make it fit with other afv. But, I would definitly buy this and make myself a nice small vignette style base. Very good choice of subject for a kit.
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jon,

I thought so too, but the mount for the windshield is right at the rear firewall of the engine compartment just in front of the gas tank:

Jon

I stand corrected! Went back over a few different walkarounds I've got and realized that what I was seeing was an optical illusion caused by viewing from the front quarter.

Jon
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:11 PM UTC
I'll have to agree with the others that the scale is the main problem for armor builders. Other than a few oddballs, like the Monogram German stuff, 1/32 just isn't found in ground vehicles.

As Jon mentioned, 1/48 would be something to think about to fit both building genres. The big drawback there is that it would be tiny.
G_Mendes
Visit this Community
Aveiro, Portugal
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 06:14 PM UTC
A1/32 Cletrac! Just fantastic!
Splendid work, very good indeed.

When it will be released?

G_Mendes
 _GOTOTOP