_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bronco A13 Tank
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 12:36 PM UTC
I discovered that Bronco has a kit of the A13 British Covenanter tank. It seems odd that such a tank kit would be manufactured of a tank that never saw service (and it isn't even German). Or am I mistaken?

Also, from appearances the Covenanter and Crusader tanks shared the same type of tracks. True?
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 02:40 PM UTC
Tom, it did see service, just not outside of England (with rare exceptions). Unlike the mentioned German vehicles, the British actually built over 1700 of them. Here's a link to a page with a nice history and rundown of the tank:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/britain/covenanter.htm
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I discovered that Bronco has a kit of the A13 British Covenanter tank. It seems odd that such a tank kit would be manufactured of a tank that never saw service (and it isn't even German). Or am I mistaken?

Also, from appearances the Covenanter and Crusader tanks shared the same type of tracks. True?

Sorry but unless I have missed something Bronco do kits of the A13 Cruiser variants excluding the Mk III (Covenanter). I'd be very happy if they did do a kit of it as they were the backbone of the Home Armoured Forces in the early years and an important link in the evolution of British Armour.
Al
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sorry but unless I have missed something Bronco do kits of the A13 Cruiser variants excluding the Mk III (Covenanter). I'd be very happy if they did do a kit of it as they were the backbone of the Home Armoured Forces in the early years and an important link in the evolution of British Armour.
Al

You mean this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bronco-1-35-A13-MK-I-Cruiser-Tank-MK-III-35025-New-/390476106039?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5aea308937
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 05:28 AM UTC

I suspect he does mean that, which is NOT a Covenanter. I'm afraid you've fallen afoul of the byzantine British tank nomenclature system of the early war years.

The Bronco kits are of the Tank, Cruiser, Mk III, A13 Mk I and the Tank, Cruiser, Mk IV, A13 Mk II. They also make the Tank, Cruiser, Mk IVA, A13 Mk II, which ius a new build Mk IV with the thicker armour and other detail changes.

The Convenanter was:
Tank, Cruiser, Mk V, Covenanter (A13 Mk III)

The Crusader was:
Tank, Cruiser, Mk VI, Crusader (A15 Mk X)

Clear as mud, ain't it?
 _GOTOTOP