Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya 1\48 Tiger 1 Track Issues.
White_Tiger
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 08:40 PM UTC
Hi this is my first post here but i am building a Tamiya 148 Scale tiger currently and made a mistake with the tracks more or less destroying them......(Yes using plastic cement so..there pretty rough and i think unsavable) This is the first time i have ever had problems building any model tank (Or model in general really...) Does anyone have suggestions on any way to get new tracks or possible ways to salvage these ones? or should i just try to paint it up and hope no one notices???

Mytola
Visit this Community
Norway
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 10:09 PM UTC
Ouch, that didn't look good, no. I know Friulmodel makes a set of metal tracks for the Tiger in 1/48-scale. Perhaps that would be an option? It will probably end up costing about as much as the tiger kit itself, though.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 10:42 PM UTC
You know, sometimes I think about building a diorama with a Tiger in maintenance that has its tracks removed, but that would waste a whole set of tracks.

mileset3
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 10:51 PM UTC
Kurt,

I agree that the Friulmodel metal Tiger tracks would be the best way to go. In fact, since I am using a set of those on my Tamiya 1/48 Afrika Tiger. I've got the extra Tamiya plastic tracks that I'd be happy to ship to you if you can cover the postage. Please contact me off-site at mileset3ATyahooDOTcom

Cheers,

Miles Twaddell
Gulfport, FL
White_Tiger
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 10:55 PM UTC
Cool, i might go with the metal ones though......depending on the cost for some reason my Panther went together no problem, yet anything with Tiger in its name seems to hate me track wise (Im well aware of the pun) Also IF i do go with metal tracks is there a guide to how to put the things on at all? Not to mention can i build the rest of the tank?
Mytola
Visit this Community
Norway
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 11:32 PM UTC
The metal tracks are very easy to put on. They are actually assembled like the real thing, with a wire through the holes in the links. They are fully workable and flexible and look very realistic. Only downside is cost. A set of the Tiger 1/48 are about €23 here in Europe.
White_Tiger
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The metal tracks are very easy to put on. They are actually assembled like the real thing, with a wire through the holes in the links. They are fully workable and flexible and look very realistic. Only downside is cost. A set of the Tiger 1/48 are about €23 here in Europe.

Ouch....almost the same cost as the tank......Might be easier for me to just buy another tank but then again i get to deal with the same stupid plastic issue again.......My sprokets and wheels are a bit damaged too. (almost tempted to go up to 135 scale for size...)

Then again 148 is much more relaxing and fun to build. Got the tracks off and am left with this..

Mytola
Visit this Community
Norway
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hmm, those idler wheels don't look good. I'd be tempted to buy a new kit and use this one as practice for new techniques or something. Or perhaps just make a damged tank out of it, or dirty it up with lots of mud around the damaged parts. Another idea is to use it in a diorama or vignette in such a way that the wheels/track won't be visible. It looks like you might have used a bit too much glue on the tracks here. You can get away with using a lot less than you might think.

The Tamiya 1/48-kits are indeed very enjoyable and pretty well detailed, I've built the early Tiger, the T-34-76 and the Sherman Firefly myself, and it was a lot of fun!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hey Kurt, sad news about the tracks and wheels. I think I'd get the set of new tracks Miles offered, and go with Henrik's suggestion of using a mud or snow build up to cover the unrepairable damage. From the looks of it, the rear idlers are the only real problems. The road wheels look like they can be easily fixed enough to show them as combat damage.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC
I would suggest AFV (or Skybow) Tiger l. Much better model and the late Tiger l has very good moulded-on zimmerit. No annoying metal lower hull. Tracks are 'rubber band' glueable vinyle and are really well detailed.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 08:02 AM UTC
Also, you could try AFVclub individual link plastic tracks. However, the best is to contact Borgfeldt, the Canadian distributor fot Tamiya and see if you can buy a replacement sprue for the damaged parts and have it mailed to you, or have your local hobby shop order them for you.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC
I am now recommending a "caked mud" simulation. Come on, O.P., the beauty of tank modelling is that the things get as dirty as farm machinery!

GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi, I had the same thing happen when I tried to do this kit. It still sits unfinished. The Skybow/ AFV Club Tiger I is a way better kit! and very cheap at Luckymodel.com (*********$20 including shipping - late model Tiger in stock and $10 replacement tracks**********).

I used the AFV CLUB plastic replacement tracks on my AFV Tiger , so I have an extra set of the AFV club VINYL TRACKS if you want them. Let me know

Your best bet is to get the AFV Club Tiger kit in my opinion as it looks much better finished anyways. Use your Tamiya to practice your heavy mud

This is one of the few Tamiya kits that frustrated me - you have to really read the small print in the directions to assemble them tracks correctly!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 01:28 PM UTC
1/48 Tamiya Tiger I with winter camo and snow. There could be any number of flaws on the tracks and wheels, but you'd never know it.

White_Tiger
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 03:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the idea's guys! i think i will go with getting that pair of tamiya tracks and doing a Snow look since my 135 King Tiger (My favorite tank....) is ironically White with black stripes... (ya white tiger...) However i DO want a late war tiger to do up in the token german armor grey so would this be the right kit?

http://luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=AF%2048001

Also my goal is to have one of each german tank in 148.....how crazy is this to pull off?

Edit:Also can i uh...Build the rest of the tank with no tracks on? lol Also are these any good?

http://luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=AF%2048004
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 04:03 PM UTC
That is a late war Tiger but they had zimmerit, so not sure about the grey you're referring to? That is an awesome kit and it has zimerrit molded on already for you.

Also, don't order anything from Luckymodel that says 'available' because you will wait forever for it. If you want those early tracks try ebay maybe.

The late tracks are in stock
http://luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?search=Y&q_brand=AFV&q_category=&q_scale=48&q_word=&q_show_instock_only=Y

Also see the name Arnaud Brejon - that was his hobby only building everything German under the sun
http://www.track48.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=35#axis
White_Tiger
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 04:29 PM UTC
Lovely, so ill just get the tiger and use the Tracks miles said he would send me for my snow built up tiger (I happen to have a ton of tamiya snow effect)

Also can i build the rest of the tank with no tracks on it?
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 06:27 PM UTC
just make sure the front fenders won't be in the way when trying to get the tracks on. I think if you don't connect the upper hull to the lower hull you'll be OK building on
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... However i DO want a late war tiger to do up in the token german armor grey so would this be the right kit?

Edit:Also can i uh...Build the rest of the tank with no tracks on?

Keep in mind that they pretty well stopped using the grey in '43.

The tanks can be assembled without the tracks by leaving the rear fender pieces off until last, as long as you didn't glue the front sprockets in place.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 09:25 AM UTC
If you want to salvage the kit there are quite a few pictures of Tigers stuck in the mud up to the fenders. A recovery diorama or just an angry TC yelling at the driver might be interesting and not make the kit a total loss.

TC
 _GOTOTOP