_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British 6 inch Howitzer
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Made a start on the Resicast kit yesterday. Progress so far.

Some points to note Be careful removing the elevating quadrant it would be easy to cut of the small extension by the fixing point (A17).

Parts B6 and B 8 are tricky to fix and align. I found it easier to remove the fixing points and also remove the rivets under the trail as shown on page 4 of the instructions. Parts B7 and B9, the brake-drums, need added in a specific fashion as shown on page 7. The brake-drum axles have a small circular mark on the end which will help you attach them to the correct depth.

You'll need a razor saw, sharp modelling knife and a set of drill bits. Part A 10 slides through part A 9 so drill out the hole on part A 9. Drill out/through the fixing points on the towing bar and clean out the film from the holes as necessary.

Clean up is very minimal and once you have the wheels aligned correctly the erst is pretty straight forward. The only decision you need to make is to decide if the gun will be in firing or towing mode as this affects what gets added.

You can find the review of the kit here

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/8272

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi folks,

A bit more work. Apologies the pictures aren't that sharp, added the sight and various boxes. The remainder are tools and the towing hook.

I do like this beast.

Does anyone have any info on ammo boxes and charges.

Thanks

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 09:14 PM UTC
Here we are with some paint on.

Al
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 09:35 PM UTC
Alan ,,, Very very nice mate ..this little beast is one of my fav WW2 British artillery pieces ..love watching this thing fire ..awesome recoil,,to me that denotes power and that gun was the reason i like artillery as much as i do today .
Your is a beauty and i cant wait to see it weathered

Phill
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 09:39 PM UTC
Great work Alan. Are you going to crew it or show it being towed?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hi Phil,

The beauty of the beast is in it's simplicity. Many thanks for looking in and the comments. It's a straight forward build with an impressive end result. I'm currently looking through Pathe News for some footage of them in action. You wouldn't by any chance have any pics of the ammo boxes and charges used for the gun?

Hi Pat,

Tobruk came to mind when I started this one as I recently read a book about the defence of same. As to towed or in the firing position I'm undecided.

My understanding is that when in firing mode all the tools were removed, so the gun would be pretty much as now. I need to see if the towing arm was or wasn't removed during firing. With the recoil Phil mentioned then possibly although you could use the towing arm as a means of repositioning the gun too.

Accurate Armour currently do a selection of early, mid and late ACE Matadors that were the prime mover for this one. There was also rumour of a new plastic kit so I'm reluctant to commit to a resin Matador if suddenly a plastic kit becomes available and both SKP and AFV club should have the chassis now.

There are a nice motley selection of figures and heads around to make up a desert crew and I have the DML set of walking infantry troops I wanted to turn into an ANZAC patrol possible returning from patrol through the gun line.

A Tobruk dio would be good but I need to think on it a bit more.

This is a simple straight forward build that can be done in a few days so I can see another purchase connected to the BEF as a future possibility.

Thanks folks.

Al

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Phil,

The beauty of the beast is in it's simplicity. Many thanks for looking in and the comments. It's a straight forward build with an impressive end result. I'm currently looking through Pathe News for some footage of them in action. You wouldn't by any chance have any pics of the ammo boxes and charges used for the gun?

Alan as luck would have it i have found some pics of these bits ,, Ultracast in Canada make the right ammo boxes for this gun ..heres the link for it ,, http://www.milminwh.com/ultracast_fig_accessories.htm

Finding pics of the powder charge ain't easy but least i got some of the rounds it fired and one of the ammo boxes it used .
The rounds ..

The boxes ..

I'll find something on those charges and maybe Frenchy might come up with something,,you know what he's like

Phill
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi Phill,

Many thanks I hadn't looked over on Ultracast.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Added the towing arm.

a figure for scale

If you want to go down the towing route them there are some items to add to the trail plus the locking bar for the saddle.

Here's a line of guns at Tobruk in 1941

Looks like a FAT in the background and the figure in the foreground has a good resemblance to the new Resicast figure:

Tool wise I think I'll settle for 50/50 with the gun just being positioned and set up, so some removed and some on.

Al

gwtmoore
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 03:12 AM UTC
Looking really good Al, hope the build was OK and as enjoyable as it was doing the master.

If you can and pass this on to as many folks as possible:

I was talking to the Librarian at the RA Museum, Firepower at Woolwich.......he and a helper are the only ones working there. All the rest have been made redundant.
They now open Tuesday/wednesday and Thursday....due to cut backs.
It is a great source of information, however they have already had to "reduce" the amount of stuff (records) they carried due to lack of space.
The museum itself has a great collection, however it is off the usual "tourist route".

Support them as much as possible......use it or lose it......the Whitehall wallahs have no heart when it comes to history and heritage.

George.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi George,

Not wanting to get political but the Government cut backs will have a devastating impact on the country. It doesn't surprise me that Woolwich is suffering. This is a government that has little imagination, no moral standing and little interest in the heritage or people of the country. There are probably less than a handful of MPs who are not corrupt and lining their own nests or that of their cronies. Most should actually be in prison for fraud along with the bankers who caused all this mess in the first place.

But I digress. The build went really well thanks George, excellent kit.

Thanks for the heads up about Woolwich I will have to make a point of visiting. Been on my list of places to go for a while but haven't made it their yet.

I think we have an events forum so I'll post up the details re Woolwich.

Cheers

Al

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 05:24 AM UTC
Interesting about the library I'll make a point of visiting next time I'm in London. My Uncle was in the Royal Artillery from t5he thirties til the hyis death in the early fifties.
gwtmoore
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Pat, you going to Telford this month ?????

For the Library......a phone call to make an appointment is a good idea, though they are not overly busy (usually) but a courtesy thing really.

My contact is the librarian Paul Evans, 020 8312 7125.

George.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 07:20 AM UTC
I would not be surprised to see some of exhibits starting to make their way to Larkhill with what you are saying, The Royal Artillery has already started to give us guns to ensure they are kept up together and in good condition.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 07:32 AM UTC
Some pics of them in action:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/further-and-further-into-libya/query/Tobruk+artillery

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Pat, you going to Telford this month ?????

George.

No unfortunately not George. Unless I win the lotto between now and then
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hi folsk,

Well I've taken this one as far as I need to for now. I'd recommend you leave Part A7 (front towing bar) off until the last minute as it's easy to forget it's there and snap it off

Cheers

Al
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 05:46 AM UTC
Lovely work Alan.

I like the way you've presented it.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi Darren,

Thanks for looking in and the comment. I've set it to one side for the moment until I decide on a final setting.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Some work on a small re-cycled base I had and some ammo supplies.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hi folks,

The first of the two figures I'm going to add for scale. This one is the Sovereign Seated Tanker with a new head.

Sorry no natural light for the pic, but you'll get the idea.

Al
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 05:31 AM UTC
Looks very good Al, but I think I'd have dug the spade in a bit otherwise the gun would disappear into the sunset when it was fired!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

I wondered when someone might mention that . The concept was that the guns had just been unhooked and were being moved into position. Otherwise how could I fit in a mug of tea before the digging starts

Digging it in would required a new base as there is no depth in this old recycled one which originally supported an SAS jeep.

Well that was Plan A!

Cheers

Al

_GOTOTOP