_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Any interest in a kit of Osama's compound?
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
Of course it would just be a small section of it. The compound wall, a bit of the building etc. Still, it could be a great starting point for a diorama depicting one of the most amazing military missions ever. Is this a diorama kit you'd like to see produced? I'm all ears.

Randy Pepprock
www.dioramsplus.com

PS. Special offer for all Armorama members. Order any kit from our site before 11/2 & we'll throw in a sheet of our laser cut bullet proof glass at no charge.
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC
BTW. The photo is of our Iraqi Ruins kit, not of the compound. That has yet to be developed.

Randy
DP
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hey Randy,

Not so much the compound,but for sure 1 or 2 Afganistan homes.

Tom
chrisw
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Randy, I kind of agree with Tom.

A specific kit marketed as the Abbotabad compound might limit the utility for diorama builders, but making clear that it could also be used for generic Afghan/Pakistan/Middle East compounds would be useful. I'm a huge fan of your Iraq street scene and would like to see more like it. Personally I'd like a wall, gate, and building facade.

Of related interest are some articles about the military's own UBL compound model, used for mission planning. One link is below.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/osama-bin-laden-compound-model-on-display-at-pentagon/
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
I also agree with Tom. However, the Abbatobad complex is in Pakistan, not Afghanistan. As far as Afghanistan's architecture is concerned, four mud walls with a mud roof. Easily created with some plaster and card board. We must also remember that the only operations carried out in Pakistan, are clandestine. I believe that, had it not been so high a profile mission, Bin Laden would have died in Afghanistan. Political spin on things.
Now, back to the topic. I thought the photo was real. That being said, I would love to see more Middle East architecture. There just doesn't seem to be much around. So, I support you in your pursuit but may use it as a general sand box base.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 11:48 PM UTC
Randy.
I have your Iraqi street (see below) and love it. One problem (minor) with it is, length!

As you can see, I have placed a Warrior on the street for a trial and sadly it is to small.. It would have been ideal if about 4 or 5 inches longer, even 3 inches would have helped and an inch wider.

Perhaps you will come out with a follow up that can be joined to this one.

As for Afghanistan a dirt street with a shabby building or two that can be placed both sides of the street?

The quality of your items is amazing and please continue to dabble in the modern day conflicts, enough WW2 items exist already.

I order your products from Stevens international and sell them in the HobbyTown USA store that I work in.

Keith.
charging_rhinos
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 07:42 AM UTC
I must also agree with the above opinions. Having an accurate Abottabad compound diorama would be very interesting, but would offer very little freedom of choice when building. Another issue that might appear is that of the helicopters used in the raid. They were obviously very secretive about their stealthy, modded blackhawks, but after they destroyed the one that crashed, its tail rotor remained. Without an accurate model of the real helicopters (and enough room in the compound to display them), building a model of the compound might not be high on peoples build-lists.

I would also like to see more generic Iraqi/Afghani/Pakistani dioramas. Your current Iraqi model is outstanding, and I would very much like to see other styles of buildings, gates, and street corners done by Dioramas Plus.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Randy.
I have your Iraqi street (see below) and love it. One problem (minor) with it is, length!

As you can see, I have placed a Warrior on the street for a trial and sadly it is to small.. It would have been ideal if about 4 or 5 inches longer, even 3 inches would have helped and an inch wider.

Perhaps you will come out with a follow up that can be joined to this one.

As for Afghanistan a dirt street with a shabby building or two that can be placed both sides of the street?

Keith.

Something like this is what I would like to see >

Keith.
 _GOTOTOP