_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Log armor
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 09:27 PM UTC
Morning All
I am wondering if anyone has some photos or links as to how the sherman crews would tie logs to the side of the tank to attempt to add more armor. I refuse to just glue them on the side and call it magic.
Thanks
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 11:08 PM UTC
The logs weren't used as additional armor. They were used when the tank encountered mud or snow or other terrain that made the tank get stuck.

As for how they attached them.... chain or heavy rope appears to be the solution for most crew. And from there to the lift rings on the hull.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 06:37 AM UTC
On the contrary, logs were used as add on armor. Attatched to the sides of A.F.V.'s they hopefully would detonate the round before it would hit the armored sides of a vehical. Just like the bedsprings on the T-34 and sandbag armor you see. There are some pics of shermans with them attatched to the sides. I doubt if it would be much use against a 88 but with a low velocity round might save the crew. There was even a pics somewhere of a M-113 in V.N. with small pipes covering the sides to pre-detenate an R.P.G. With the relative thin armor of shermans it was prudent though Patton would have fits as he stated that it was demoralizing to the troops to see them. Personally, I would have done it and drapped cast plates on top, what ever it could handle weight wise whether Patton liked it or not. My life, my crew, my tank my add on!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 09:14 AM UTC
Some good pics here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829/thread/1240583984/last-1240932297/Canadian+M4+side+armour-Hey+Bruce

_GOTOTOP