_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A34 Comet
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 08:18 AM UTC
Did every single WWll era Comet have the mantlet cover? Just want to know if I have to spend extra on the AM part.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 08:21 AM UTC
I don't believe they did.

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC
I'm not sure about WW2 era versions (which given the European climate ie rain would think they were de rigeur) but I do have a reliable source who informs me that post-war, in Hong Kong, the mantlet covers were ordered to be removed due to rotting in the humid climate.

I would think that by using Milliput or similar you could probably sculpt your own, just roll out thin, apply and cut to size and add the creases and folds using a rounded-off cocktail stick or say, the end of a paintbrush handle. Any fingerprints can be eased away using a wet (water) paintbrush carefully over the marks. Once hard, it can be drilled(for MGs etc) or sanded if necessary.

It will certainly save you buying an after market set; I've only used this method on a few Soviet tanks, which I fully admit is a different ballgame as they are not as complex a shape, but I found it far easier than I'd thought.

Good luck,

Brian
TheModeller
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 12:48 PM UTC
The Comet was used by 29th Armoured Brigade, made up of 23rd Hussars, 3 RTR and the 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry.

In all the pictures I've found of these units Comets in service in NWE every one is fitted with a mantlet cover.
 _GOTOTOP