_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Miniart Buildings & Ruins
sjr123wa
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 10:52 AM UTC
I really enjoy the diversity of Miniart’s building and ruin sets, but I’m disappointed in the lack of interior detail. Does anyone know of a good reference(s) for the interior structure (joists, flooring, wiring, etc) of European buildings? Thanks
Bob in Oly
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hey Bob, no reference books in my library but, you can look inside any building that is 100 years old that is being torn down. They will be pretty much the same. One thing though, older buildings have lumber that is exact messurements. A 2x4 will measure 2x4, not like the wood we get today which is 1 1/2x3 1/2 inchs. Another note, many older buildings have hand hewn lumber so it will not be smoth or rough saw cut showing the teeth bites from the saw. Any plastered wall will have lath boards going side to side and spaced for the plaster to bite into to hold it. Old electric lines were attatched to the inside wall and covered with a metal cap, a U-shape that covers it. Older switchs would be round bases with a round knob to turn them on. As far as plumbing goes, they would be lead pipes from back then. Your plumbing will be the same as what you see today, traps, conectors, vents. Lead pipes would be a dull greyish color. Hope this helps you some. bob d.
 _GOTOTOP