Evolution and demise of a diorama
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 08:18 AM UTC
In the beginning there was this:

After comments were made about the trees, old plastic ones from Faller that I added Noch flocking to, I removed some layers of branches to improve the appearance.

Meanwhile, there was this: a mud-daubed over winter whitewash Marder

Then, the SU-122 was changed to this diorama after I read an article about Russian self-propelled guns used as dug in artillery.

In the meantime, the Marder replaced the Su-122 on the old diorama:

I grew tired of the SU-122 diorama and also discovered a mistake in construction of the Marder. I decided to re-work the Marder and it became this:

The SU-122 was returned to the original diorama, with the addition of the barbed wire obstacle:

I decided to alter the SU-122 by removing some of the fenders and improve the appearance of the spare fuel drums. In the process, I managed to destroy it. I have decided I will replace it with the Ba-10 armoured car.

GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC

Too bad for the Su-122, as I liked a lot it in the dug-in emplacement... It really looked like it belonged there...

What was the building mistake on the Marder? I thought it looked excellent.

Gaston
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi Gaston, I am in Northern Manitoba at the moment (no modelling going on). Thank you for your words regarding the dug-in diorama. I might use the GasoLine Su-122 hull and re-do this one, or order spare parts from the Tamiya distributor, and have a stripped down hull without mudguards and fuel drums, possibly adding camo netting. I made a fundamental error mounting the shield of the Marder. For some reason, I glued the two forward shield support pipes to the perisocpes, instead of in the little socket just under the periscopes.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 07:26 AM UTC
Very nice Glenn, though I have to agree I liked the SU as a dug-in as well. Really liked the original dioramas solution for the pine trees as well.
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 07:44 AM UTC
Nice work, Glenn, but one observation on the SP is that it needs some roughing up - weathering, rust/wear and tear and a few dents. One more point with the AFVs in your collection, heavy vehicles don't float on the ground, they are heavy and sink into the dirt/mud. The tracks should rut into the soil and leave grooves as they pass. Grind 'em into the ground. Watch a tractor working on a street or lot and see the build up of clumps of dirt and mud and what the tracks do to the ground. Good start.
Ironmike
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC
The "floating" SU-122 was a problem with the first diorama, as the SU-122 was not my original intention and was added after the groundwork had been completed. Also, adding snow turned this into a winter setting and the ground is much harder. The reason for putting the SU-122 into a dug-in position was because I needed a reason for the driver's visor being closed. Tamiya moulds the driver's hatch and visor with protector down as one piece. It can't then be depicted realistically as being driven. A static emplacement is much more realistic. I was wondering what to do with the old dug-in diorama but after the comments here I will get a new SU-122 for it. As for the weathering, the SU-122 had very subtle weathering and highlighting with graphite that, for some reason, did not photograph well.
 _GOTOTOP