Hosted by Darren Baker
SAS jeep?
Becky
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC
Have thought about building one of these for sometime, and thought I should ask around about my options. What I would like to build is a ww2 North Africa SAS Jeep. And what I have found out so far these are my options:
Tamiyas ancient offering
A new offering from Cyberhobby
Conversion kit from Legend, just not sure what base kit this in intended for.

So, now, what are the pros and cons about these kits? And do I understand correct that the Legend kit gives you parts to do two complete vehicles?

Well, as usuall I'm thankful for any input on the subject!
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hi Becky,

You could always use the newish 1990's lol tamiya jeep as the base which is light years ahead of their original SAS jeep offering. From what I have read of the cyber-hobby jeep is that it is incorrect in a few areas, but I am sure more knowledgeable people than me can confirm either way for you.

Then if you did get the legends or black dog conversions which would allow you to make two kits which would represent part of a patrol.

Hope that helps Mike
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 02:30 PM UTC
The cyberhobby jeep has dodgy wheels, an incorrect grill and costs a fortune

You can use the Tamiya Jeep (1990s Willys Jeep boxing) with the Legends SAS conversion. Or the Swash Designs conversion

The Tamiya kit might be 15 years old but it still very very nice indeed, and with the Legend conversion it is no more expensive than the Cyberhobby kit, but a lot better as you get enough stuff in the Legend box to really heavily stow not one but two jeeps

The swash set is really the pinnacle of quality; just stunning in every regard, but it comes with a pricetag to match (basically because they use much more expensive materials and methods to make it)

Alternatively there is a good chance that as Bronco have released a new jeep kit, they may well do a NA SAS version. They already have the British AFV accessory set with the Vickers Ks, and various other useful bits.....
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 08:39 PM UTC
What about the Italeri "Commando Car"?

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 09:01 PM UTC
The Italeri car is rather nice for its age, but represents the upgraded NWE variant instead of the desert one. However, if you used it for the body and the guns but replaced the fuel tanks and stowage with the Tamiya parts...

Tom
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 09:44 PM UTC
The best value way to proceed is to get the newer tamiya Jeep or even the old Tamiya SAS Jeep and the legends conversion which gives you parts for two such jeeps. This will result in a far superior offering to the cyber hobby kit which is typical of DML's approach to Allied stuff and very under equipped and incorrect in so many ways.
Probaly the cheapest alternative is to buy the old tamiya SAS Jeep and use the new Tamiya Jeep as the base. That will yield quite nice SAS Jeep with a little work.
Al
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi Rebecca,

I agree with Al,The Tamiya Jeep is the best offering.

Suggest to get your hands on the italier SAS commando jeep for the vickers K guns .They are more solid in construction than the resin alternatives .
The resin Vickers K guns are very fragile and are easy to snap than the plastic version.
Both the Italeri Sas jeep European commando car and Tamiya Jeep are very cheap to get your hands on .
Hobby Easy had the Tamiya jeep for $12.00 Aust and that is a nicely detailed Jeep to convert.
Legends , Eduard and Verlinden do cheap detail sets to dress up the vehicle .
Swash detail sets are exquisite but so is the price
I've just finished this one with Legends , eduard and Verlinden sets .
Do not forget the Acedemy 50 cal set as they sell the right 50cal to be used in the passengers seat .this is a commonly seen in a lot of WW2 photo's of the SAS jeeps.

Michael
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Probaly the cheapest alternative is to buy the old tamiya SAS Jeep and use the new Tamiya Jeep as the base. That will yield quite nice SAS Jeep with a little work.
Al

This is what I plan doing and you can get both kits together for €15.70 from Hobby easy plus postage but you will probably have to replace the jerry cans as they are the old Tamiya style two handle cans.
I also have the Bronco Vickers K guns from their accessory set
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 05:19 PM UTC
Hi Becca,

Welcome back after all these years!

I defer to the real armor/softskin builders here as to which kit is best, although I submit what the old Tamiya model can look like even with the clunky kit machine guns. (I did use cast jerry cans, though.)

Michael, your's looks awesome!
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 07:44 PM UTC
Another alternative

MiniArt British staff car with crew (actually a Bantam made vehicle)

http://www.miniart-models.com/

Come to think of it. But how many SAS 'Jeeps' in the desert were actually 'Jeeps' and not the very similar 'Bantam'? in 1941/42

curious

Tom
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another alternative

MiniArt British staff car with crew (actually a Bantam made vehicle)

http://www.miniart-models.com/

Come to think of it. But how many SAS 'Jeeps' in the desert were actually 'Jeeps' and not the very similar 'Bantam'? in 1941/42

curious

Tom

Thats a really intresting idea, I wonder if there are any pictures of one?

Paul
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

curious

Tom

Paul

There are no photoographs of SAS bantams because as far as I know there were none. Although superficially similar the bantam has a very distinctive grill and would be very easy to spot. There was a lot of discussion of this over on missing lynx when the miniart bantam came out.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong as I have a bantam in my stash
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

curious

Tom

Paul

There are no photoographs of SAS bantams because as far as I know there were none. Although superficially similar the bantam has a very distinctive grill and would be very easy to spot. There was a lot of discussion of this over on missing lynx when the miniart bantam came out.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong as I have a bantam in my stash

Yeah I was not sure it certainly fits into the time frame but if we can't find any evidence then I guess not.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP