_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
T2K Campaign Alabama Slammer progress 3
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC
Some more photos of the progress of the T2k Campaign project Alabama Slammer. http://community.webshots.com/album/96573141nSDeFP/1
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 02:51 AM UTC
animal, I just LOVE this thing! It's right up my alley, a variant of the first order!! And I dearly love my 'Variants'!!!
I know I asked this in your last update, but I'll ask again here. Is that the M54 hood and front end?
Also it looks like you mated the front end to the M113 hull, did you use a common frame rail for the mating or did you just glue the two together? I really like your choice of pistelero's up top

Tread.

Oops, update. I checked the rest of your pics and see now you did use a common frame rail, what's it from? One more question, is that the Italeri M113? The green colour looks familiar
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
Truely awesome!!!!! This is a head turner at shows and in the service. What incredable engineering. Love the fact that I somehow missed finding this one!!!!!! You are truely a man amongst pigs!
Long Live the DSB, GSO, and the man who said "Tank...truck......I can DO IT!!!!!"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
Impressive, too bad the Army pulled the plug.

At least the Alabama Slammer will remain in existance in model form. Hopefully they won't scrap the original.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 04:03 AM UTC
Tread: The hood and front end is a modified M-54 five ton. The hood was modified to make it the M-800 series front en. The actual truck is an M-800 five ton tractor. The shorter chassis works for the length of the APC hull. We have been discussing the shortfals of this type of conversion on the Gun Truck web site and I have incorporated some of the improvements we felt would make the truck survivable. The problem with the APC hull in Vietnam is that it weas ok for small arms fire but would not stop an RPg round. The inner walls did work in stopping them though. I used the chassis from the M-34 Revell kit for the chassis(I have a lot of these laying around in the parts bin).I made the front of the APC hull from Evergreen plastic stock. The run flat wheels and tires are home cast resin tires tha I got from a friend. I used a lot of Evergreen stock on this one. The front grill and radiator are scratch built also. The front bumper is fron the M-925 series Italeri kit as as a lot of the misc. parts. the APC hull is from the M-113 A1 Revell kit #03048. I scratch built the drivers compartment encloser to make sure the driver was given added protection(without him you are a gonner in a kill zone). I still have to paint, weather, and add the soft equipment along with the radios.
Rob: Thanks for the Kudo. We have found out that the Army is building up some Gun Trucks in Iraq now. We have been sending photos and instructions on how we made our trucks in Vietnam. They seem more receptive now. We have to doo all we can to support the convoy troops over there.
Jackhammer: Thanks Bro. The Animals have to stick together

_GOTOTOP