_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BMP 3 GSFR
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi All,

Can anyone help with a problem, i have a Trumpeter BMP 3 and would like to depict it as stationed in Germany, i know that only limited numbers reached the Soviet forces stationed there, help is needed with the camo/markings etc, used.

Many thanks in advance, happy modelling to you all.

Sorry that should be GSFG!!!
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC
I haven't my references right now but i don't think that BMP3 was in service before the fall of the Berlin's Wall.

Stéphane
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hmm, are you sure that BMP-3 were sent and/or stationed in the former eastern part of germany?

I donīt think this.

Also: the BMP-3 was put into service at first in 1990 in the GUS/ russia.
So I also think, that it could be take some years, before shipping them into other countries, because of the own army in own land is more important.
Also for testing the vehicle and teaching the crews.

But, what would be with a "what if-scene?

greetings...
Soeren
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 12:16 PM UTC
The BMP 3 serial production began in 1986 in "Kurgan Masz Zavod"(KMZ) factory, and was accepted to enter service during 1987.

But the first 10 "production" vehicles were not deployed until the begining of 1988, when they were sent to Belarus Military District for initial actual service evaluation.

1990 was only the first "public" appeareance during the May Day parade.

As for full operational service, AFAIK, the Siberian Military District had the first -and only- regiment entirely equipped with BMP 3, having received them gradually between 1988 and 1992 (in 2000 the BMP-3's were sent back for refurbishing and storage, and replaced by MTLB's.

The economical restraints and crisis in the former USSR shortened the BMP-3 projected production, and it could have been the death of the BMP-3 production if it did not get some export succes at that time.

Up to now I still could not find a clear and trustable source of the number and detailed destinations of the BMP-3 actually produced... but it seems highly unlikely that any number of them could have been sent to GSFG, due to the reduced quantities finally produced (700? Maybe less...), the logistic difficulties involved -unpractical to deploy such small quantities-, and the enormous increase in final price of each vehicle during the first 90's.

I know this does not help you too much, but is the best reference I could summarize about the USSR/Russian BMP-3's

Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 07:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the input lads, i was basing the question on a hunch i had about a reference i thought i had, but to no avial i think i have crossed my wires somewhere. Anyway my Trumpy UAZ 469 arrived today so the BMP has gone back on the shelf.

Thanks again
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1990 was only the first "public" appeareance during the May Day parade.

Ahh, okay. Thanks!
I only had a book about IFVīs of the world and didnīt used the net for more intensive research.

greetings...
Soeren
 _GOTOTOP