Hosted by Darren Baker
Photo Review - 72nd Brigade - M113A1 interior
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 05:24 PM UTC
Here is a quick out of the box photo review of the 72nd Brigade’s new M113A1 Interior set, #72002 designed to fit the Trumpeter M113 kits. I recently purchased this kit from the 72nd Brigade’s ebay store.

The set contains 20 resin pieces which are bagged in a ziplock surrounded by a second bag which also contains a set of color instructions with photos of the built up assemblies. This is all sealed with a cardboard header. The set was shipped in a bubble envelope mounted on a piece of cardboard and wrapped with bubble wrap.

As a point of reference, those are one inch squares on the cutting mat.

The 20 parts are as follows:

left hull wall
right hull wall
troop compartment floor
driver’s compartment/engine compartment floor
driver’s wall
troop compartment front wall
left bench seat back
right bench seat back
radio shelf
drivers control panel
commander’s seat
commander’s seat bracket
commander’s seat post
rear facing seat that attaches to commander’s post
left bench seat
right bench seat
driver’s control levers
driver’s seat post
driver’s seat
driver’s seat back

I generally don’t build braille scale but I have a hard time passing up M113 items.
The detail is impressive for the scale with a minimum of flash that cleans up easily.
A couple of the parts came off plug but were not damaged.

I only have a junked Trumpeter M113 kit to compare the resin parts with.
Unfortunately my photos don’t seem to pick up all of the detail that is present.

The floor appears to be a copy of part B3 with the inclusion of the ramp pulley (kudos to 72nd Brigade for including a part left out of all of the larger 1/35 kits) and the bracket for the commanders seat post. The bench seat supports are required from the donor kit, they are parts B6 and B7. The tread plate pattern is present on the floor but doesn’t show very well in my photo.

The bench seats replace kit parts B8 and B9. The resin bench seats have the angled ends (as opposed to the squared off end of the kit benches) and have the seat cushions molded in place. The underside of the bench seats have locators that match up nicely with kit parts B6 and B7.

Kit part B22 (engine and driver’s compartment floor) is replaced with new resin floor which includes the tread plate floor under the driver, along with the mount for the steering levers.

The troop compartment heater is molded in place on the front wall. This replaces part B28
There is no detail on the side that faces the engine.

Part B26 is replaced with a new driver’s wall which includes the accelerator pedal. There are also three control levers molded in place on the wall just in front of the shift and ramp levers. I believe two of the three controls are for the choke and throttle. There are also two closures for the engine access panel added to the right side of the panel.

The hull sides are single piece castings that drop into place. Both sides could benefit from having their backs sanded down as that is where the resin was poured from. The larger removable fuel cell is nicely detailed.

There are no radios included for the radio shelf. However, at this scale they can easily be replicated by a couple blocks of plastic. Depending on the vehicle you are building, the radio shelves may be too long (an easy fix) and may not actually be present on both sides so check your references.

All in all, I’m very pleased with the set and can’t wait to get started on it.

More info can be found here:
72nd Brigade
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 05:46 PM UTC
@sherb ,

You have enough information and photographs to have gone and submitted an inbox review on this resin upgrade kit an then possibly linked it up to a build log here? I for one would be interested in seeing your build progress along and let us all know what possible pitfalls, corrections, modifications and added scratch made parts it would take to render an accurate M113 complete with interior, how about it?

~ Eddy
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 06:02 PM UTC
I have to admit, having never done a formal review I was a little intimidated by the "submit your own product review" page. I'll definitely give it some thought....maybe if I have some free time tomorrow night.
Thanks for the encouragement Braille!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 05:39 AM UTC
Very interesting to see a "upgrade" set like this in better detail. From checking out the eBay store it also seems quite a bit more reasonably priced than some of the European resin conversion sets. I wholeheartedly agree with Eddy (Braille) that you should seriously consider sending this in as a review. I also encourage you to treat us to a Blog of the build progress.

Cheers,
Jan
72ndbrigade
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 11:31 AM UTC
Heck Sherb, if we would have known that this was for a review, the set would have been free.
Thanks though, for doing the review, much obliged!

Wait until the Israeli M-113 Infantry Carrier set is ready, It's a full makeover for the Trumpeter kits.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 01:15 PM UTC
When I bought it I had no idea I'd be doing a review. Every once and a while something comes along that you just want to share with everyone to make sure it doesn't go unnoticed.

I'm in the process of submitting a formal review and will take some photos for a build log as well. I'm a little crunched for time these next couple weeks but I'll be working on it.
72ndbrigade
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thank you sherb, I'll be watching this one for sure!
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 09:10 AM UTC
Me too!
 _GOTOTOP