_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Question about upload to photo gallery
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi all.

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before but I am having a bit of difficulty adding photos to my photo gallery. I go through the whole process and it says that my photo has been successfully uploaded. Only when I view the gallery it isn't there. I even waited until the next day to check again and try again but still no luck. Am I doing something stupid?

thanks for your help,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
Actually the gallery is. There are 'stated' file size caps but the system (the code) doesn't seem to handle what happens when a cap is exceeded so instead of a warning message that your file was too large (I think the cap is at 3mb) you get the normal success message.

You are likely trying to upload raw camera photos larger than 3mb. You would need to re-size them either after downloading them from your camera, or after using some kind of application (like Photoshop) or one of many resizing sites/apps. PicMonkey for example is a site that can do that.

Cheers,
Jim
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Actually I was trying to upload a photo of only 47.5kb that I had resized in photoshop to 667 x 500 pixels. That's why I was wondering. It seems that I have plenty of room in the gallery so space isn't a problem. I've tried several times to upload this and several other jpegs but keep failing to actually get them into my photos. Can't help but think I'm doing a basic step or procedure wrong but I have tried to be careful in following the directions.

thanks,
Jim
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 10:48 AM UTC
What format is the image James?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 11:29 AM UTC
Yes that is a good question. The file needs to be a .jpg file and not a .gif or .bmp.

Jim
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 10:05 PM UTC
Just double checked, it's jpg alright. So it really should go to the gallery with no problems. Weird.

thanks for helping guys,
Jim
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 05:00 AM UTC
James please post the image to my staff E-mail so I can take a look at it please.
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 05:17 AM UTC
I know i have had problems in the past. It started with the custom avatar. Andi think with the Dragon OOB gallery. they were there, but finding them was the problem for me.
I eventually found them, but i don't remember how i did.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just double checked, it's jpg alright. So it really should go to the gallery with no problems. Weird.

thanks for helping guys,
Jim

There is a REALLY rare instance where a user (or the app they were using) created the .JPG file using the CMYK color standard and not the RGB color standard. I think the code that resizes images via a web server can only do that using an RGB image. That may or may not have something to do with this. Since your image is already resized there really shouldn't be a problem. In fact if the image is smaller than 800 x 600 pixels (width/height) the photo gallery software won't even touch or resize the image. It will just create the thumbnail.

Jim
Removed by original poster on 11/19/12 - 19:29:40 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP