_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Back Dating Commander's T-10M to T-10A
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 08:38 AM UTC
Here is my latest projects I’m starting on. After so many people showed interest in Commander’s T-10M and the kit just sitting on my shelf starring at me, I’ve decided to crack open the kit. My kit had some problems that I had to deal with right of the bat, some of the parts came broken or cracked. The lower hull, upper hull and turret half all had chips and cracks in them and the upper hull was wrapped. All easy fix with supper glue and putty, for the wrapped part just used some hot water to re-shape it. Not being too impressed with some of details on the kit, I’ve decided to back date the kit to a T-10A.

I’ve begun with the turret since this will require the most work. For starters I filled the inside of the turret with some casting resin for a good solid base to re-shape the turret TheT-10/A both had a different turret profile from the T-10M. There is also a T-10B, but I have not found a single photo of this turret. I’ve ruff shaped the turret with my Dremel and once I was happy with the shape, I’ve filled everything in with Tamiya putty. A lot of putty and sanding was used for the different shapes on the turret while some areas were built up with plastic tubing. A new TPS-1 sight on the turret was built from plastic strip and rod. I’ve also begun to build up the new portions on top of the turret for the loader and commander. I’m planning to rebuild all the hatches for this area since the kit parts seem a bit small and lacking detail to me.

Next big area to tackle was the mantle and gun barrel. I’ve used the kit mantle as a starting point and built it up with Tamiya putty. Sight for the TUP was made from plastic tubing and filled to shape. The T-10/A/B were armed with DSKH for the coax. This was built up with plastic and putty and for the barrel I used an end of Trumpeter’s DSKH. The D-25TS was built from the kit barrel, but a new base and blast deflector had to be made. The muzzle break came from Tamiya’s IS-2 kit. I still need to add some casting texture to the turret, But I’m waiting for some stuff to come in the mail tomorrow.

brunocollin
Visit this Community
Gironde, France
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 12:35 AM UTC
Really impressive work !
I'll follow your build with interest.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 04:08 AM UTC
Very nice work. I have been looking over my Commander's and Navigator's kits and just have not been able to start them...so many tears over all the issues with both kit, and for such a beautiful tank!

Keep up the good work, I hope it will inspire me to start mine (and do a broken hearted review of the Commanders kit).
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 07:22 AM UTC
Thanks Bruno and Jacques for the comments so far.

Jacques the reason for the backdating is because of the issues the kit has. Besides I like the look of the earlier version. Someone on this site said the kit was suppose to be based on the kit that Cookie Sewell made, but after looking at the one he built and published in military modelling; the details just don't match up. It is a real shame to spend so mch for a kit just to be let down I'm going to match up the best I can, but with so many diferent version made between two companies, I'll take the best route I can.

Cheers
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hello christopher,

Great start on a very interesting tank. Very nice work man! Looking forward to this! Subscribed!!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 10:42 AM UTC
Thanks Gary, should be a fun build for as it’s one of new favorites tanks. I still need to get two set of tracks for this kit since none come with it.

Here is just a small update. I go my package in the mail yesterday and managed to apply the casting texture to the turret and mantle. With the mantle now attached I’ve made the dust cover from strip and rod plastic. I’ve also started to work on the ventilator on the turret. Still need to add some welds which I’m working how I want to replicate these. Last real big area to work on is the new hatches.

_GOTOTOP