_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
What About Backrounds?
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 10:34 AM UTC
Has anybody ever heard, or seen, anything about ww2 back rounds similar to the type used by model railroaders?. I am planning a rather long, maybe eight feet or more, 1/35th Train consist "what if" diorama and would like to have the back round scene look appropriate. Any ideas would be welcome.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 11:35 AM UTC
Don't know anything personally, though you might want to try asking Tyrel Smith.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/198886#1664103

An amazing diorama with an equally amazing back-ground. There's a few others too though I can't seem to find the forum threads right now.
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 02:34 AM UTC
Thanks Tiger, This points me in the right direction.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 03:30 AM UTC
There are some very nice background printed sheets available from German companies that speciallize in model railroad supplies. They feature European background scenery and I think would be perfect for your project. I think you would need to put a line in the back of your dio that deliniates the front of the dio from the back,such as a hedge or tree line with the background printed sheet set maybe 2 inches in back of the hedge or treeline. If you put the background too close it will not generate the proper illusion,I think.
J
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
You know you're correct. I must have had a brain fart, I used to be the Head Scenery Director when I was into model railroading, and managed a club layout, some 40 x 75 feet back in the day. WOW a very senior moment.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You know you're correct. I must have had a brain fart, I used to be the Head Scenery Director when I was into model railroading, and managed a club layout, some 40 x 75 feet back in the day. WOW a very senior moment.

That's a very large layout!
_-_Ty_-_
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anybody ever heard, or seen, anything about ww2 back rounds similar to the type used by model railroaders?. I am planning a rather long, maybe eight feet or more, 1/35th Train consist "what if" diorama and would like to have the back round scene look appropriate. Any ideas would be welcome.

I use a lot of backgrounds for my diorama photography and most are model railroad themed. But if I slightly blur them they work for most of my shoots. Below are some examples of ones I picked up at a website called Scenic Express. They are 38"W x 13"H and several of the scenes can be joined for one massive panoramic.

This is the only painted one I have and it is one of the best WWII backgrounds I have seen. It is however quite small at 18"W x 12"H. Creative angles give the right perspective though. I got this one from Michigan Toy Soldier Co.

_GOTOTOP