_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M37 Vietnam Guntruck
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 06:50 AM UTC
Getting frustrated with not finding a Dodge M37 kit, last fall I decided to take a different approach. I located a M37 and have for the last year been painting, decalling and scratchbuilding a Vietnam Guntruck. I've had positive feedback at shows this year. I would not recommend this avenue for most, the costs far exceed any model I've ever attempted and it hasn't been easy. As an airbrush would have taken forever, I used spray cans on mine, the decals went on smoothly after many hours in front of the computer in design.

Other than the ficticious name, the truck is period correct. I left the jerry can off, as the guntruckers did, as 5 gallons of gas equals 11 sticks of dynamite and no one wants that sitting next to them!

It's 12" scale. Maybe someday, some one will make a M37 kit but until they do, I'll have my own to look at.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 07:17 AM UTC
Wow!!! I thought I was looking at an actual M37. This is an amazing finish. You have my admiration.
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 07:21 AM UTC
It is an actual M37! 12" to the foot.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 07:39 AM UTC
That's funny that it was easier to buy the real thing than find a kit for it. It does look fantastic! You've done well, Warren. Are the armor or the M60s real?
Good luck finding a shelf to display it!
On that note, taking pics of models on green felt or "grass mat" is a good idea. I might try that to emulate what you've done here (I assume at an armor buffs show).
thanks for posting!
-Sean H.
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
Thanks. The M-60s are airsoft and have fooled many Vets who carried them. The armor is MDO, a form of resin coated plywood that has been in use in the sign industry for years. Real steel would have done to this truck what it did to the ones in Nam, sunk the springs to the axles. It tops out about 40 mph as it is, a ton of steel would drop that to about 25 mph and increase the breakage rate tremendously.
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 11:42 AM UTC
that is a great lookind truck,im sure you will fun with it,
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 06:19 PM UTC
Great idea and very nice result indeed!

and... with this kind of reference you can 'easily' scratch a scale model of the M37

Nice job!

Mark
BigDaddybluesman
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 04:31 PM UTC
Great work, it's just as hard on a model. But it's easier to find and make pieces for a real one believe it or not.

I wish someone would make these already. I am sure everybody who models vehicles would want one. The US Army used them for years. You'll see a lot of them in Vietnam pictures, all over the place.

The guntruck versions where used by the commander over the M151A1, more room in there.

I'm waiting for anybody to make one. Even a conversion kit from a BEEP. Count me in for 5-10 of them if anybody is listening.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 05:14 PM UTC
Nice!!!!

Happy Modeling, -zon
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work, it's just as hard on a model. But it's easier to find and make pieces for a real one believe it or not.

I wish someone would make these already. I am sure everybody who models vehicles would want one. The US Army used them for years. You'll see a lot of them in Vietnam pictures, all over the place.

The guntruck versions where used by the commander over the M151A1, more room in there.

I'm waiting for anybody to make one. Even a conversion kit from a BEEP. Count me in for 5-10 of them if anybody is listening.

I know I'd buy several, at least 5 (hey, maybe 10 if the price is decent) and I know many more folks at Steel Soldiers and g741 (both sites for the real deals) who would also.
We do know that dies exist, Skybow got a few to market and supposedly, AFV club has all Skybow's molds. Even if they weren't up to AFV's high quality, I could make due. A resin conversion would be ok, but at the number of parts you'd have to replace on a WC kit, it might just be better to make a complete kit in resin. Wouldn't be my first choice, but if it was the only game in town, I'd try a few.
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 245 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but I just wanted to mention that Iron Division II is going to be releasing a resin M37. It was supposed to be out in August according to their web page, but I haven't seen any updates on that. I will be down for at least one...maybe two.
http://www.irondivision2.com/35scalemain.html
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 08:25 AM UTC
I emailed with Bob back in August. He was shutting down in September to focus on getting the M37 kit ready. I'm looking forward to it!
 _GOTOTOP