_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M7 question
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 06:52 AM UTC
I'm currently building Dragon's Mid Production M7. I'm using Squadron's M7 Walkaround for detailing. My question refers to the 105 gun. Color photos (of vehicle restorations) show the gun sight and range quadrant, with the exception of a few OD painted fittings, as unpainted machined brass. During wartime would these parts have been bare brass, or everything painted OD? Next question: The breechblock is a slightly different color from the surrounding OD. It can't be bare metal as it would be rusted. Were breechblocks Parkerized? The color is a sort of metallic-grey-green.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC
Yes on both accounts. The sight and quadrant are usually brass. The breech is also usually parkerized or dark, bare metal which doesn't rust since it is rubbed down with brake free (gun oil) frequently.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:57 AM UTC
Thanks Gino. How would I do convincing Parkerizing? I was going to paint the breechblock in OD, and then lightly brush MIG gunmetal pigment over it and highlight with pencil lead.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 03:23 AM UTC
I mix flat black and chrome silver with a few drops of OD to make a pretty convincing Parkerized finish.
 _GOTOTOP