_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Destructive adverstisements
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 07:39 AM UTC
Strong title, but a question to you all:

Those nice ads with changing pictures turn my energy sensitive LCD screen into a traffic light, ie the background changes intensity every time the picture changes. The first reaction I have is leave the page...not the intend of an add.

Anybody out there experiencing the same?

H.
sabre1866
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 08:50 AM UTC
Harald,
I see the ads, they don't affect my display, maybe it's the new
Armorama display , there's a lot more white and the ads run only
down the right hand margin.
Must say I do like it.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strong title, but a question to you all:

Those nice ads with changing pictures turn my energy sensitive LCD screen into a traffic light, ie the background changes intensity every time the picture changes. The first reaction I have is leave the page...not the intend of an add.

Anybody out there experiencing the same?

H.

Which ads do you mean? The left side ads that are animated?

Thanks,
Jim
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 09:44 AM UTC
Jim,

it's the "live resin" on the left that seems to cause the effect to my monitor, it changes very quickly from light to dark. My monitor reacts in adjusting the brightness of the screen at the same rate the ad changes pictures. The effect is an unreadable screen. The ones that change at a much lower rate cause some effect as well, but one doesn't notice because the rate of change is too low to notice...

And yes, I like this new setup as well, but maybe you can do something about those stroboscope ads

Harald
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Harald,
That actually uses Adobe Flash so it may be that is what is causing the issue. I will let the folks at Live Resin know though that it is causing that problem for some.

Best wishes,
Jim
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 11:13 AM UTC
Jim,

just played around with flash. It's just the change from light to dark that affect the display. In combination with an "energy sensitive" display anything that is big enough (this depends on your resolution) with a rate of change from light to dark of less than 2 seconds will get that monitor adapting its intensity to display white. The effect looks like a stroboscope...not pleasant.

Nothing to do with the method used, but the best practice would be to avoid intervals of less than 2 seconds...

Harald

PS I did end up ordering some live resin stuff...so I guess the ad worked after all, but in a slightly different way than intended;-)
 _GOTOTOP