Hosted by Darren Baker
tiger in Winter
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 06:39 AM UTC
These are pics of the original diorama. It is a Tamiya Tiger with some PE parts. The only change I made to the kit was adding the vertical plate atop the commander's hatch that secures it place when opened. I made a mold of the one from the AFVClub kit and cast my own. The figure is from the German field maintenance set. It has been pointed out to me that the right arm of the figure had too much of a gap. It appears this way in the photos but not so much in person.

The figure's arm was altered. But, another problem has shown up in the pictures that is not so readily apparent when viewing the diorama in person. Note the way the tracks do not sit on the sprocket and first wheel properly, especially on the right side. However, I enjoy altering my dioramas and have decided to disconnect the track and have it on the ground in front of the tank, suggesting repair.

Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 08:25 AM UTC
Nice job on the snow! It looks very good both on the base and the tank.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 08:41 AM UTC
Those link and length tracks can be a real pain to get them to lay down right.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 02:08 PM UTC
Hi Glenn. What did you use for snow here? and is that the kit's tow cable? For some reason the Tiger I tracks were hard to get right for me too, must be something wrong in the directions (or us men just don't follow them haha). Cheers
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 01:39 AM UTC
The snow was made from Polyfilla and gloss and semi-gloss paint was added to give it some shine and also for the damp areas of melted snow both on the ground and the tank. Later, Tamiya snow-textured paint was added and some clear resin to enhance the effects of melting snow. The cable was handmade and, IIRC, the tow cable ends were from Eureka XXL.

I
 _GOTOTOP