_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
DML Sd 138/2 Hetzer Early
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
I started the DML Hetzer early today, I decided to just using a Judio barrel as AM accessories, because I need to take a break and want to build something sort of OOTB. I am surprised of how well each part go together...so far really enjoyed it....Highly recommend!

So have anyone built this one yet, will like see some pictures....

Is Hetzer used by any waffen-ss 1st echelon Panzer divisions? such as Wiking, or LAH? I usually like to have my AFV in SS markings. Thanks!

Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 05:34 AM UTC
dave,
hetzers were used by: Grossdeutschland, das reich and other front-line units
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

I don't know if you know it but here is a link to a site about it.

HETZER - A detail study

Hope it helps.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

dave,
hetzers were used by: Grossdeutschland, das reich and other front-line units

PAK 40, thank you for your information, may I assume that it should also be used by the Wiking, in this case. And if so what's their numbering will be like, and also insingal-wise?

Thanks
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,

I don't know if you know it but here is a link to a site about it.

HETZER - A detail study

Hope it helps.

Thank you Tuga, do you know a site with pictures of the frontline Hetzer that you can send me. Thanks!

Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:39 AM UTC
one of my replies wasn't posted.

go to [www.feldgrau.com

also [www,wssob.com
these might answer some questions
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

one of my replies wasn't posted.

go to [www.feldgrau.com

also [www,wssob.com
these might answer some questions

Chris, thanks for the sites, I had checked them out, unfortunately they seems don't carry that much information in regarding to the Hetzer, but they are great sites. So added to my favourtie. :-)

Just one more question, besides the "Hetzer Scheme", would that be possible that a Hetzer could also fashion the ambush scheme? Thanks!

avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC
Dave,

Yes, the Hetzer could be seen with an ambush scheme. There is a picture in one of the excellent Squadron/Signal Panzer Colors books that shows US troops checking out a knocked out Hetzer that is sporting the ambush scheme. I will scan it an send it to you.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,

Yes, the Hetzer could be seen with an ambush scheme. There is a picture in one of the excellent Squadron/Signal Panzer Colors books that shows US troops checking out a knocked out Hetzer that is sporting the ambush scheme. I will scan it an send it to you.

Thanks Adam.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Hetzer in Panzer Colors that is mentioned above is a later model than your DML kit.

The later Hetzers were factory painted in some ambush schemes.

If you are doing an early Hetzer, you might want to consider a dark yellow base with red brown and dark green camo applied. (On the very early models, I think the red and green was field applied.)

Some initial Hetzers that were used by training batallions were left in the dark yellow with no additional colors applied.

Since many of the camo schemes were factory applied, the camo was hard edged and uniform. There were some interesting combos of both color and pattern that I have seen.

I would check out the recent Osprey book on the Hetzer. Some good profiles and timeline of how they were painted and when the variations occured.

Steve
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Hetzer in Panzer Colors that is mentioned above is a later model than your DML kit.

The later Hetzers were factory painted in some ambush schemes.

If you are doing an early Hetzer, you might want to consider a dark yellow base with red brown and dark green camo applied. (On the very early models, I think the red and green was field applied.)

Some initial Hetzers that were used by training batallions were left in the dark yellow with no additional colors applied.

Since many of the camo schemes were factory applied, the camo was hard edged and uniform. There were some interesting combos of both color and pattern that I have seen.

I would check out the recent Osprey book on the Hetzer. Some good profiles and timeline of how they were painted and when the variations occured.

Steve

Hi Steve, Thank you for your detailed explain. So the dark yellow with green and brown camo, this is refer to as the Hetzer scheme with yellow and green patch and brown wavy lines, right? Thanks!

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve, Thank you for your detailed explain. So the dark yellow with green and brown camo, this is refer to as the Hetzer scheme with yellow and green patch and brown wavy lines, right? Thanks!

Dave,

I think I know what you mean by the wavy lines. I think that would be a correct scheme as I have seen Hetzers with this banding.

There are some nice photos of Hetzers out there with a variety of patterns, etc. Since the vehicle was introduced rather late in the war, the photographic record is not as complete as it is for some other vehicles, even though the Hetzer was produced in some number. Guess there were more pressing concerns then taking photos of vehicles at that time in the Third Reich!

And, since there were quite a few of these little dudes tooling around, I'm sure you can use a bit of imagination with your camo as long as it stays within some factual base. Unless you are trying to depict a specific vehicle at a specific time and place...

I know DML gives some possible schemes in their directions, but I would try to do research first if choosing one of these. I know they have an all dark yellow one and I talked to some people about this. They seemed to think that the early Hetzers that did see combat would have had some field camo applied.

Good luck and let me know how your "trouble maker" turns out!

Steve
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 04:37 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

Thank you again for the information. I think I might go with the Hetzer Scheme, never really like AFV in mono-tone paint, except Schweregrau, so I will always do camo if I have a choice. If I can figure out how to do the web thing and attach picture in the forum will post them here, otherwise, will try to post them in Track Link. Thanks!

Take care.
 _GOTOTOP