_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
PSM tackles the Leopard 1
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 04:32 AM UTC
Perfect Scale Modellbau has released five new items for the Leopard 1, one of which is a full kit utilising the Italeri Leopard 1.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
That is awesome news indeed! We have a new AMX-30 kit, DEF Models is updating the venerable M-60 kits, new T-62's and 64's and now a full updating of the geriatric Leopard 1 kits; the 60's/70's Cold War is in great modeling shape now.

Matt
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC
Interesting releases, but I don't quite like the look of the tracks and the gun barrel. Rubber blocks on tracks are wrong shape. And gun muzzle tip is too large diameter - looks very toylike. I've bought a few PSM shrouded Leopard barrels a couple of years ago and unfortunately they had the same flaw...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC
Thanks, Darren, for posting that. With all the interest in Leopards, they should be popular.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 03:50 AM UTC
Rubber blocks on tracks are wrong shape. [/quote]

Hey Pavel !
Wouldn't be too sure about that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21532948@N04/5825411908/
We are actually takling about the "Kampfpanzpanzer Standard" 1. Baulos, later called Leopard 1 and they did have this kind of rubber pads. I believe that the Dutch and the Belgian Leo 1 ARV and AEV still use these tracks as seen at Prime Portal.

Cheers
Christopher
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting releases, but I don't quite like the look of the tracks and the gun barrel. Rubber blocks on tracks are wrong shape. And gun muzzle tip is too large diameter - looks very toylike. I've bought a few PSM shrouded Leopard barrels a couple of years ago and unfortunately they had the same flaw...

I agree about the gun, and I'd add some reservations about the collar on the bore evacuator. But the tracks are right for the very earliest Leopards. Up to now there has been no proper replacement for the dreadful tracks in the Tamiya kit (no end connectors!). A lot of people have bought M47 tracks as a near-substitute and will now be kicking themselves. Including me!
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
What Leo 1 models does this new upgrade actually represent? It mentions there are parts for several different early production models?

Erik
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 08:50 AM UTC
Seeing the master of the turret being build (by Gerold) over the recent months and comparing the progress with the ref. material used, I would conclude that this turret is the most accurate one of its kind on the market today.
... and there is some more to come.
Gerold seems to have a gifted hand when it comes to Leopard 1 based kits ... just look at the engine to go with it !
Did not take a close look at the gun to have an opinion yet ... I'll go through the "Spielberger and Shackelton's" over the weekend.
Just another Xmas treat for me-self !!!:D

Cheers
Christopher:-H
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 09:04 AM UTC
I'm sure Pawel knows what early Leopard tracks look like, I think he's referring to the shape of the chevrons, at least this is what I see:

Jim

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What Leo 1 models does this new upgrade actually represent? It mentions there are parts for several different early production models?

Erik

The conversion parts are for the Leopard 1....Production Batches 1 to 4.

That being said there are mutliple modifications, additions, and changes during the production of Batches 1 to 4 and you can't simply attach the conversion parts to the kit without doing some research about what you are intending to build. The good thing is that many of the Leopard upgrades occured during Batches 1 to 4 and there is no set rules as to each version...there are always options.

So to answer your question...the upgrade set represents Batches 1 to 4...and there are several options for each Batch as additions were made to individual Batches during their production.

Some of the modifications to the base kit depending on which version of the Batch you want to represent may include removing the rain gutter, filling in the lifting eye holes, changing the tool stowage layout, and moving tow cables, spare end connectors, and modifying the tool box.

Clear as mud?
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC
I agree that the angle of the track pads seems slightly off compared to the real thing. But, it is not a fatal flaw and at least we have a new set of early Leopard tracks!

As far as the barrel muzzle size it is a pretty easy fix with some sand paper...the magic of resin!

Gerold and PSM are for sure keeping the Leopard 1 alive and kicking! I am very excited about future releases. What could possibly be next?
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 01:37 AM UTC
Have to admit the chevron issue is trivial, but what bugs me is the end connectors cast onto the links. This is ok for the "flat" runs, but gives an unrealistic saw-tooth effect round the idlers & sprockets. You can cut & reposition them, but it's a pain. Still, I can see myself getting a set or two...

Tom
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Clear as mud?

Clear! I'm going to have to go through the German language Leopard 1 book I have again, it explains all the early production batches.

Kinda off topic, but someone mentioned that the Tamiya Leo 1 kits are flawed. What exactly is wrong with them?

Erik
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
The biggest issue with the Tamiya Leopard 1A4 is that it does not include the grouser racks on the glacis plate and the pioneer tools are a bit soft in detail.

I would like to see PSM do a conversion to correct and update the Tamiya Gepard...that is long overdue!
 _GOTOTOP