_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Winter bridge Stug F 42'
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:38 AM UTC

What's missing here? I mean I know I don't have a lot of groundwork or structures. More rusting on the KV2 turret I think would help, and maybe on the Stug tracks? It's 1/48 scale and I used snow-coat, vallejo still water and ice effects. Helpful feedback welcomed. I'm trying to get good with smaller scenes before I try anything big. Thank you!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:52 AM UTC
No need for modesty here sir. You are more than ready for moving to the bigger scales. Very atmospheric dio. It made me want to put on a sweater.
As far as additions go....usually less is better? If you really NEED to put something else in here,maybe some debris sticking out of the snow? Braken wood,sticks,ammo boxes. There is usually a lot of trash involved in combat. Trust me!
J
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 04:00 AM UTC
Looks great Greg, as we told you on your other thread. Interesting scene and a fairly odd scale. Nice work.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback Jerry and Christopher. Moving on with the next build
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC
Very nice Stug, and the snow looks great as well.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hmm, i actually think (and i say that well knowing that i never made a snow dio until now) that the snowy hill does not look natural enough .
There is no "airy" snow feeling. It looks more like a hill after some kids played a while on it.

Perhaps the whole dio looks to much "staged". Your main subject here (perpendicular to the borders), then the turret in the water there and ok, let's put a snowy hill to fill the rest.

A few thoughts
You can try to add some lower vegetation (and test adding snow) on the top of the hill (instead of the trunks).
Maybe you can try to raise the level of the hill

Also the bridge (wood) looks white under the snow and everywhere else!

The Stug looks good to me

A few ideas

Claude

melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
i agree with the masses. it looks great, but the white makes it lack something. Needs just a bit more added to it, or at least some color. one spot i noticed that could use a bit of color is behind the tank where the tread marks are or along the side of it. with that said, since it is a travelled road, you would be able to muddy up that whole area. perhaps some tall dead grass or water weeds that woudl stick out of the now.

overall, very good.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thanks again for the replies. I've been trying to improve my landscapes and my first here for deep snow. I agree it's too white. The mud and grassy track areas would help it. I think I should've made some rock exposed near the waters edge tooas it's just too much snow without much breakup in it. The white on the bridge I was going for a kind of frost/ice look, but in hindsight now better to use to give more color to the whole scene. Lesson learned about being too monotone in color and landscaping. Thanks all
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 02:43 AM UTC
Stug , Snow and Bridge are OUTSTANDING ! Hope my Stug looks this good when done.

Very Cool,
milvehfan
wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
OUTSTANDING DIORAMA
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 05:58 AM UTC
Greg: very nice scene. I agree with the comments of breaking up the snow. I say rocks and maybe some dead plant remains along the stream edge as it appears the stream is still flowing and not iced over. This would melt the snow at the edge into the stream. Also, you could add some plants around the tree stumps, like shoots or saplings that came up, with a touch of snow on them. Rocks poking out of the slope would help too. You might also consider mud on the bridge if this is not the first vehicle to cross it, in addition to mud in the tracks behind the tank. In summary, I'd say the "problem" is not so much the snow, but the terrain under the snow is too uniform and not poking through enough to make the snow more interesting. Great work on the Stug and bridge and you're a brave man for tackling snow!

Happy Modeling, -zon
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
Nice seeing this over here as well.

The snow STILL makes me shiver.

~ Jeff
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 07:22 PM UTC
Thanks Milvehfan, Bill, and Jeff (great effects u got there Jeff )!!!

Zon - I totally agree with you, so it should be fun to go back and fix it up.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Zon - I totally agree with you, so it should be fun to go back and fix it up.

Greg: Just add to, then blend in with some more snow. Or if you can carve into the snow a little, do that. You'll do fine!!

Happy Modeling, - zon
 _GOTOTOP