Hosted by Darren Baker
A challenging Challenger
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 07:59 PM UTC
This is a Dragon 1/72nd Challenger 2 with BAR armor and a dozer blade from an early Trumpeter Challenger 2. Construction was a simple mating of the Trumpeter dozer to the front of the Dragon kit. The only other modifications I did was reposition the side mirrors to pose deployed.

Painted in Tamiya NATO Green and given a Mig Dark and Brown wash combo then filtered with Sin filters. The final touch comes from Mig Pigment Gulf Sand rubbed everywhere.

Thank you for looking.

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 08:29 PM UTC
Good idea to beat up the slat armor a bit. Don't think I've ever seen anyone do it yet (probably because they're to proud of finishing it!).
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 08:40 PM UTC
The truth is Christopher, the PE looks beat up because it is

The PE is so thin they broke easy. The whole of the rear hull and turret rear PE come in 2 separate single pieces. Everytime I handle them and attempt to install them, they break. Each time I try to fix them, the rest of the BAR armor twist and bend and break again. So the battered and beat up look was not intentional

The PE is the "challenge" in this Challenger
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 09:06 PM UTC
I could have guessed that about the PE. Your really should keep quiet on that and just tell everyone it was intentional. At least I learned something; didn't know the Challenger had mirrors!
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 09:36 AM UTC
@ChaosXVI – Toby,

Looks like you managed a little time away from playing ‘WorldofTanks’ to work on a build, hihi!.

Great job, l especially like the realistic looking dozer blade and damaged BAR armor. I’m glad you went and left your battered PE example alone and placed it on the kit as this is what these things look like on the field. Tanks attract damage and dirt like a magnet attracting anything metal that’s close enough and not bolted down. Superb job on the weathering too! Yup, ‘NumbaOne’ it is!

~ Eddy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
Toby,

It's about time that you got back to building and posting something here! You've done a fabulous job on this challenging Challenger. I've seen a few of these entered in local shows and the first time I've seen a 1/72 Challenger with the dozer blade (let alone 1/35 ones) that's looked this good.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP