_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Uniforms Somali-Ethiopian Conflict 1978
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 07:33 AM UTC
I'm looking for pictures of uniforms for both Somali and Ethiopian forces from this conflict. I'm building a Somali T-34 and would like to give it a crew and some infantry. I've got an assortment of pictures but I cannot say positively that they are from that period. Any information on either nation, or just the Somali Forces would be greatly appreciated.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC
It's been a couple of days and no comments. I can completely understand. It's sort of a niche subject. I'm open to suggestios and opinions here.

I have a few pictures, but no specified dates. They seem to either be typical 3-color woodland style or tan with green or brown splats. I'm assuming Soviet weapons and equipment. And the

I'm not sure about which color. The woodland scheme seems the safest bet. I'm thinking about mixing some of their gear. For example, giving one or two of them US Vietnam era flak jackets. One of the tankers is getting a flak vest. I'm using Soviet style tanker headgear.
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hi Alex,

maybe these Figures from Warriors coud help you if you have the chance to get them:

Warriors African Figures

first set: African T-55 Tank Crew #1 WA35500
second one: African Militiaman WA35505
third one: African T-55 Tank Crew #2 WA35507

Also this site could help you:

Warriors African Figures

If you also use modern british Figures or convert other and use the african head set from Hornet you will have many possibilitys for Figures. Also the MIG Productions IDF Figure set could be used with african head set as tank crew.

Also the african military units are widely equipt with mix match Uniforms from UK or the US. Also mostly AK´s and FAL rifles are used. So you can easly use the Dragon NVA Sapper Vietnam Figure set body parts with that AK magazines vest and use other legs. For bush hats i would use the Firestorm Aussie Bush Hats Vietnam or for helmets you can use old US M1 helmets from Dragon for example.

Greetings

Stefan
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 05:38 AM UTC
Stefan, Thanks. I kind of began moving ahead with the figures. I decided to move away from regular army and focus more on the militia, because of the added leeway it gives. I've got the tank crew covered. I'm using a mix of figure parts from the spares and I found two tanker heads that can pass for African. I have the NVA Sapper torsos set aside for infantry.

Thanks again.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 07:00 AM UTC
Did you see this thread ?

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?86588-Ethiopian-Eritrean-War/page2

HTH

Frenchy
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 07:00 AM UTC
Alex this might help some, pictures from the 70's are almost impossible to find. Here is a somali troop from the 60's

These are suppose to be from the 77-78 time frame

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 09:08 AM UTC
Christopher and Frenchy, Thanks for those links and pictures. I have some of those pictures. Very few are identified. I don't know much about the region. And I had no idea about Eritrea.

The pictures will definitely help even with what I have planned.

Thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP