_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava MBT Interior
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 04:38 PM UTC
IDF Fans:
If my memory serves me well,....I don't recall ever seeing an interior resin or PE detail set offered for the Israeli
Merkava of any Mk. Can anyone confirm, if there are any available, for interior detailing upgrades. Thanx in advance.
Todd
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 10:28 PM UTC
I guess the available interior reference stuff is not that thick on the ground...

Frenchy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 03:55 AM UTC
I based mine on some photos found in an Israeli armament journal. There wasn't much to go on - the turret floor, and inside of the fighting compartment. I think there's an Osprey publication that shows the ammunition storage layout. My driver's compartment was pure fiction, but I asked it heavily upon an M60. The control panel is a direct copy -it made sense at the time since the Mk I borrowed heavily from several different tanks available to the IDF at the time.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 04:55 AM UTC
HI

There are a few photos out there .. the Desert Eagle book on the IV has some shots. Not enough to go crazy but if you wanted to drop the rear hatch and busy it up, there may be enough for you.

HTH

T
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 04:56 AM UTC
I have a few photos somewhere I will find and post today. Most are of the engine compartment sans power pack, but there are some turret shots too I believe. Skipp I would love to see yours if you are willing to share. Cheers.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 05:39 AM UTC
I'll see what I can do. The entire thing suffered catastrophic rapid deceleration about twelve years ago when I moved into my house, and even then it wasn't complete, ie, MGs, small details and final weathering.

Here are a few interior photos I've managed to find.

Most of that I was able to fairly accurately reproduce thanks to this:

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 06:37 AM UTC
There is one Merkava 1 displayed at the Munster Panzermuseum.
But I heard even in these old tracks, the Israelis removed all the electronics/fire control system. For obvious rteasons the IDF likes to keep the lid on their best tank.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
That took a little longer than I thought, but then the post Christmas workout usually does.
Here are the pics. Remember, I started this thing 20 years ago before there was a PE set for it. It's never been finished, AND it suffered a crash. Enough of the excuses...

When it's all together and you look through the hatches, everything looks painted and in place, so I didn't worry about painting everything.
Now I'm thinking maybe I should go back and finish this thing.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 11:01 AM UTC
To All;
Thanx guys. It's better than where I started. What I find odd,
is that there are assembly photos and component drawings of the Namer & Namera APC interior on the web. (quite extensive I might add). THEY even show panel and layout shots. Seats,stowage cabinets, and more. But the IDF is always in a
shadow and Hush Hush with open info on vehicles of any sort.
Using the interior shots of a APC, would be pointless because the configuration is not that of the tank. I know there are tons of exterior PE sets & resin conversions on the mkt , but interior will be a painful search I'm afraid.
BTW: Robert I thought your pics were real not a model. Excellent execution and build.!!!
USP45C
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 01:04 PM UTC
A few interior pic's on Prime Portal: http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/david_lueck/merkava_mk1/
 _GOTOTOP