Hosted by Darren Baker
Removing model from water
73Driver
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and I must say I am very impressed with the information and the craftsmanship! I am planning a seaplane dio with a Grumman Widgeon parked just off shore of a pristine Caribbean beach. I would like to be able to pull the Widgeon model up from the water, so herein lies my concern of which I would appreciate some commentary and ideas.

My plan is to, of course, build the basic structure of the aircraft and set it in putty to make an impression of the hull and pontoon. Then, fill it with plaster. Setting the plaster hull form into the dio, I'd pour the Magic Water. What I need is and idea of how to get the plaster back out of the Water once it has set up. Do you folks use a Saran Wrap to go around the plastered hull which would make it easier to remove from the Magic Water? I have scoured the forum javascript:PasteSmiley(':-[%20]') to some degree but haven't come across this type of issue
mailman7
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 05:43 AM UTC
Why not just place the Saran wrap around the kits plastic floats and use them, why bother with the plaster?

73Driver
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why not just place the Saran wrap around the kits plastic floats and use them, why bother with the plaster?

I was airing on the side of caution with the paint job on the plane. So Saran Wrap will work in allowing me to do a clean pull (of the model) from the Magic Water when it dries?
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was airing on the side of caution with the paint job on the plane. So Saran Wrap will work in allowing me to do a clean pull (of the model) from the Magic Water when it dries?

A couple of quick questions. Will the model be permanently attached at the end to the water with 5-min epoxy or some such? I ask because, while I've used saran wrap, I've had issues where the wrap stuck to the water, mostly when a crease in the saran wrap allowed the water to flow in and harden but also when it was tacky. I started using the thinnest clear plastic drop-cloths I could get at the hardware store because they creased less. They leave more of a gap but if you're epoxying the model in place at the end it doesn't show.

Matt
73Driver
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A couple of quick questions. Will the model be permanently attached at the end to the water with 5-min epoxy or some such? I ask because, while I've used saran wrap, I've had issues where the wrap stuck to the water, mostly when a crease in the saran wrap allowed the water to flow in and harden but also when it was tacky. I started using the thinnest clear plastic drop-cloths I could get at the hardware store because they creased less. They leave more of a gap but if you're epoxying the model in place at the end it doesn't show.

Matt

Thanks Matt. The original game plan is to have the ability to remove the Grumman from the diorama to look at up close. I think the issue with the Saran being stuck to the water can be tackled by trimming it out of the cavity with an Xacto. I had no plans of permanently affixing the seaplane to the diorama, but if need be I could do such after the model is completely detailed. This is the first time I've tackled something like this so the advice is appreciated !
 _GOTOTOP