_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Early M1, any good updates avail?
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi all,

I have been googling and looking on eBay too trying to find any good update parts/sets for the early Tamiya 1/35 M1 Abrams.

As of the last item I found online, there is no turned barrel for the 105, but wondering if any other good stuff is out there.

I have a link to another site that has a tweak list to the kit, and it only mentions a track replacement from Armor Track, although I have not been able to find it anywhere yet (seem to be OOB). I have also seen the Trumpy set. What is your opinion of that indy link set?

Thanks,

John
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 08:54 AM UTC
AFAIK there are no update sets designed specifically for the Tamiya M1, although many of those intended for M1A1/A2 are useful.

I think the Trumpeter tracks are the Armor Track tracks. They're a lot of effort to build (5 parts per link!) but worth the effort as the kit tracks are terrible.

I recommend the Royal Model M1A1 update set for using on the M1, as it fixes most of the clunky details on the kit.

http://www.royalmodel.com/it/catalogo_dettaglio.php?id_art=184

Another good upgrade is the Voyager .50 cal meant for the Abrams. The one in the kit is inaccurate, and this fixes that.

http://www.voyagermodel.com/productdetails.asp?itemid=VBS0204
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 02:59 AM UTC
Ed,

Thanks for the information. I had not realized that the 50 cal on the M1 early was a remote control version. I thought those had not occurred for the M1 till this new CROWs system.

John
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 04:05 AM UTC
There isn't a remote control version of the M2 .50 on the early one. He means the manually operated one- Voyager makes an update set for that too- the link provided is for the wrong version
system
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi John - I think the commander's .50 cal on the M1 and M1A1 can be aimed and fired from under armour via a mechanical linkage, but without all the electronic gizmology of the later CROWS system. But I'm not an expert - perhaps somebody with hands-on experience could comment?

Anyway, the Voyager set is appropriate for an initial M1 - it matches the photos I have.

EDIT: Jason - just saw your reply, but I disagree - I think the version is right. Possibly Voyager called it by the wrong name though.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 04:55 AM UTC
possibly- I was under the impression that set was designed to be the remote M2 located just above the barrel on Abrams with TUSK
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
The commanders .50 cal can be operated from inside the turret in "buttoned" up mode. There is no direct ranging or independent thermal sight but there is a sighting eye piece and can be turned and fired from under cover.
AEF designs used to make an m1 to m1a1 conversion and this can be used to produce a good m1ip , but no other after market was around back then. If you could find a Leo 105 barrel that might work with some modification, or you scratch one. Good luck. Also I might have some ref photos if you need. Cheers.
lone-ronin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 05:06 AM UTC
On the M1A1 the cupola has both manual and powered traverse. Elevation and firing are accomplished by means of a manual crank just inside the cupola. Not at home right now, but I can look in the -10 manual this evening.
system
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

possibly- I was under the impression that set was designed to be the remote M2 located just above the barrel on Abrams with TUSK

That's this one:

http://www.voyagermodel.com/productdetails.asp?itemid=VBS0164
 _GOTOTOP