Hosted by Darren Baker
following build instructions
paul51
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 04:30 PM UTC
Should you follow the build instructions as per the manufacturer or is there a better method. I would be happy to here from you if you have a fool proof method which can be used.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 04:54 PM UTC

For armor I find it doesn't matter much. Soft skins may have sequential steps that need to be followed. Generally it's to avoid having to manipulate a suspension piece into place because you prematurely cemented another component that interferes with it.

With tanks though, I do have a two rules I almost always follow.
First - cement the barrel halves together first. This gives the joint time to cure during the rest of the build, and you might have to fiddle with it a few more times to get a perfect seam. Of course a metal barrel obviates the need to do that.
Second - avoid adding the small delicate details until the very end for obvious reasons.

Of course, everyone's going to have differing opinions on assembly sequence. The better companies usually have test builders to insure the instructions make sense and are presented in a logical order.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 04:55 PM UTC
I can't say there's a foolproof method, since every kit has its own quirks, but I usually assemble as many of the large components as possible before attaching small detail parts. Things like grab handles, tools, open hatches, light and periscope guards seem to be begging to get knocked or broken off if you put them in place before having to handle the model extensively.
It all boils down to whatever sequence works best for you and what you're comfortable with in each situation.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Paul;
Its a Learning process, it has too be learned !
When i start a kit, i study the instructions first, then i start with the largest part ie; the hull, then road wheels.
Leave the smallest outside parts last Its o,k, to jump build steps and start on a section thats called for later in your build.
Just have fun, relax and enjoy

CHEERS; MIKE.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 12:48 AM UTC
No you should not,plan ahead and use common sense,with smaller parts that break off,and when you decide to paint.
skrsks
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 01:57 PM UTC
just a tip : whatever course you want to take, tick off the parts you built on the building plan, and optionally mark the parts you will need to build on your model in a later stage.
it will save you time searching through the plans time and again to place the parts you omitted during the early stages of the building process.

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

just a tip : whatever course you want to take, tick off the parts you built on the building plan, and optionally mark the parts you will need to build on your model in a later stage.
it will save you time searching through the plans time and again to place the parts you omitted during the early stages of the building process.

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said.Small parts are best left to the end,it's too easy to forget something is on the other side when you pick it up to move and then it's gone or needs to be reattached.Can't tell you how many rear view mirrors I've lost.I've learned to as Peter say's to mark out the parts I've used and I circle ones I need to go back to.Other than that,if there's an interior to the kit I try to that first for painting purposes.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP