Hosted by Darren Baker
dry grass
tenaglia
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hello I wanted to know how to create clumps of dry grass thanks and happy new year
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC
small clumps of low to the ground dry grass or tall dry grass?
For the tall dry grass, natural fiber rope, cut to size and glued in place works great. For low grass go to a floral shop or craft store and look for spanish moss. For really fine ground cover I used sawdust and then spray my color on it once down. Cheers.
cheapisfun
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello I wanted to know how to create clumps of dry grass thanks and happy new year

Ciao Sergio, Marco form Italy

I used oakum/jute fiber used by plumbers.
You can find it CHEAP at any DYI store.
You buy it, cut in pieces (longer than the one you want) as it comes in VERY long fibers.
Paint it with cheap diluted acrylic or tempera colors.
Make it yellow, dark green, dark yellow, green. A pinch of brown can help.
Do different shades and CONSIDER IT WILL LOSE SOME COLOUR INTENSITY WHILE DRYING (gest clearer not darker).
Let dry overnight.
Next day the material will be like glued, not so nice to see, but if you pass it among your fingers (the move you do to count money notes!:P) the single fibers will become separate.
Cut on the desired lenght (make variations!) and mix the colors.
Stunning effect easily and for a small price.
If you want to block the grass straight, you can avoid working the fibers too much after they dried once you have done the painting...it's easy to obtain, give it a try.
Dried paint gives the fiber the needed streneght to stay up straight if not too long.
I can reply in italian if you wish!

Best!
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:59 AM UTC
I've used Field Grass made by Woodland Scenics. It comes in various colors (harvest gold would be good for dried grass) and the strands are 3 inches in length. You hold a bunch together and cut them to the length you need and stand them on end in wet white glue. Made for HO scale model railroads and I've used it on 1/24 scale dioramas.

(Note: I cut them longer than I wanted to be able to hold them. After they were in place and the glue dry, I trimmed them back to length with a small pair of scissors.)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've used Field Grass made by Woodland Scenics. It comes in various colors (harvest gold would be good for dried grass) and the strands are 3 inches in length. You hold a bunch together and cut them to the length you need and stand them on end in wet white glue. Made for HO scale model railroads and I've used it on 1/24 scale dioramas.

(Note: I cut them longer than I wanted to be able to hold them. After they were in place and the glue dry, I trimmed them back to length with a small pair of scissors.)

To avoid a stick mess, you should push them into the base with a forked tool. Micromark sells one, but you can make your own for a couple of dollars. Find a heavy sewing needle and clip the eye, close to the end. Use what's left of the eye and needle to push the grass into the base. Don't use any glue, as it will only cause the fibers to stick to the tool.
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
Old shaving brushes are good source of grass, the colour is pretty good too for dead stuff.

Regards

Dan
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been doing exactly the same for years.Wigs are also good.Blond is good for dry grass,follow the same method.Can be found cheap at Halloween and last you for years.

Tom
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC
I usually use several products in one patch of grass but for the longer dry yellow grass I usually go to the DIY store and buy one of those big cheap soft bristled brushes. Get a bunch of those bristles between your fingers. cut to desired length and stick them with the cut end in a dab of white glue before you put them on your groundworks. It is even better to roll the cut bristles a bit between your fingers before putting them in the glue. This way they fan out a bit and you can shape them more natural instead of having them look like somebody dug in a paintbrush.
And try to vary it a bit. The plumbers hemp/Oakum works really good as well. And you will always find weeds in any grass. Variation makes it more realistic.
 _GOTOTOP