_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Lion Of Babylon:Iraq Republican Guard T-72M1
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 06:30 AM UTC
I got this Kirin Lion Of Babylon:Iraq Republican Guard T-72M1 kit awhile ago and was thinking about building it, Since its a T-72M1 would any of the PE or resin fit this kit. Or is this just a out of box kit. I got some T-72 stuff but not sure if it will fit on the kit.

I can not really find anything on the kit so I thought I would see if the best site in the world would know anything.

Happy Modeling
William DeCicco
PatriotaModels
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hi William,

some 3 years ago I have sold my KIRIN T-72 "Lion of Babylon".
Because of its shape the kit represents a T-72M type, but the Iraqi Army used the T-72M1 version with some modifications and finally called it "Asad Babil"(Lion of Babylon). Take a look at the front glacis, the additional covers for IR-searchlight and commanders searchlight, also as the anti-rocket jammer on the left side of the turret:

http://www.xenophon-mil.org/milhist/usarmy/hoodmuseum/p1130507s.jpg

http://www.xenophon-mil.org/milhist/usarmy/hoodmuseum/p1130510s.jpg

http://www.xenophon-mil.org/milhist/usarmy/hoodmuseum/p1130511s.jpg

and a completed kit

http://toraden.com/~tankguys/tankguys/NP-t72.html
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 09:05 AM UTC
William, basically the Lion of Babylon was a stripped out Polish T-72M1 with the only known additions being some spaced, laminated armor on the upper glacis plate and there's supposed to be some on the rear hull as well (I've only ever found one picture that 'might' prove this to be true). It's also said the Iraqi's modified the exhaust system to blow air under the tank to help dig it into sand, though I've never seen anything to support this. They were really just thrown together with whatever parts were available. I think I've even got a picture showing an vehicle with mis-matched road wheels!

Unfortunately I've got no knowledge of the Kirin kit, and the few Lion of Babylon build I have seen used the Tamiya kit. Good luck with your search.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC
The Exhaust system was modified to reduce the IR heat signature of the tank, not for emplacement. Also, the turret had armor on the rear underneath the zip box.
I would also say that they used whatever t-72s they had for the program... Czech T-72G, Polish, etc...

All the 1:35 "lion of Babylon" kits are outdated at this point.

Chris
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Exhaust system was modified to reduce the IR heat signature of the tank, not for emplacement. Also, the turret had armor on the rear underneath the zip box.
I would also say that they used whatever t-72s they had for the program... Czech T-72G, Polish, etc...

All the 1:35 "lion of Babylon" kits are outdated at this point.

Chris

Thanks for the information about the exhaust, always though the entrenchment idea sounded ineffective, but that's what I've read.

I'd agree about the use of anything they could get their hands on, but there were trade embargos that prevented the sale of tanks etc. to Iraq. The Polish 'tanks' were sold as upgrade 'kits', which bypassed the embargo.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got this Kirin Lion Of Babylon:Iraq Republican Guard T-72M1 kit awhile ago and was thinking about building it, Since its a T-72M1 would any of the PE or resin fit this kit. Or is this just a out of box kit. I got some T-72 stuff but not sure if it will fit on the kit.

I can not really find anything on the kit so I thought I would see if the best site in the world would know anything.

Happy Modeling
William DeCicco

For that kit you could use PE specifically for a Dragon or Zvezda T-72 (NOT the T-90). This kit is 20 years old and although it's a little crude compared to the new Zvezda T-90 I loved it when I built it, and grabbed the M-84 as well. Modelkasten tracks should fit but I thought the kit tracks were fine so I used them. There may be replacement turrets out there if you wish to spend the cash, Miniarm would be the place to look.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi William;

Your kit is a Copy of the OLD DML kit with a resin turret thrown in along with some other odds & ends !
The kit will need a lot of work too make a respectable
Assad of Babil, ! Now if your not into Accuracy, then the kit is o.k. for what it offers,
Theres a Few After-market Co; that make resin conversions for the Tamiya T-72, If your so Inclined,
HAPPY NEW YEAR; MIKE.
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 06:13 PM UTC
So basically its a crappy out dated kit an it would look inaccurate kit if I only used out of box parts. But there is help out there if I looked around for some T-72 stuff to add to it like some PE an maybe find a aftermarket gun barrel an any PE used for a T-72 tank. I have a verliden T-72 update set with a motor an some PE an would the metal tracks I got for the trumpeter T-62 would they work I forgot where I got it from but I think company name started with an " fr"something .

What time frame or better what era was it used in the Iraq army, not sure if I want it to be ODS or a OIF etc. Have it work or abandoned with the engine opened up trying to repair it. With some American soldiers looking at it diorama.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi William;
Im not telling you what too do, but i would look for a Tamiya T-72 and replace the turret with one of the After-market sets. The turret in the Tamiya would be wrong for a Assad Babil. If you look at the Build Blogs you will find a Build of your Tank. If price is not an Opthion then you can go from there. As for Etch sets thats up to you.

HAPPY MODELING; MIKE.
 _GOTOTOP