_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Hornet Head application
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 01:53 PM UTC
Before I go out and buy a couple sets of heads, what is it like putting them on? I know they've got zebra necks at first so that'll have to be cut down, but I'm just looking for tips or things to look out for when using them.

Any feedback would be great

Thanks

-Conor
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 11:28 PM UTC
Yes they do have quite long necks- thats a good thing though as it gives you plenty of room to cut them/shape them/sand them down to the correct shape and size that you need. My advice is to look at the head you are replacing- if it is itself a seperate item then try and shape the Hornet neck area to match it so the fit will be quite similar.

In a couple of instances I've had Hornet heads where the necks appear too thin for the figure- so in these cases I tend to add something like a scarf from Magic Sculp to disguise it.

That being said I've certainly had quite a few instances where the Hornet heads fit with only a minimal amount of work shaping the neck area. You really can't say what you'll have to do until you know what figure you are going to attach the head to.

But be warned- if you use one Hornet head you'll be hooked on using them !
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 02:44 AM UTC
Jump right in man!!! They are great. I would only add that you should pay attention to the facial expressions that you choose and have them match your scene. Don't have a guy laughing as he is firing his machine gun(unless you are going for that maniacal look) LOL
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 08:05 AM UTC
I use a ball grinder on my rotary-tool and hollow out the neck area of the torso and then trim the bottom of the Hornet head's neck to a rounded shape.

I dry-fit the head to make sure the neck's not too long (the most common problem guys have when using them). Hollowing out the torso allows the head to be turned slightly (if you want) for a more candid appearance, and also makes painting a little easier (IMO).

I also drill a hole (about a #76) in the bottom of the neck and insert a straight pin to hold it while I paint the head separate from the body. I use a hemostat clamp to hold the head while I paint and stick it (using the pin) into a piece of Styrofoam to dry.

To glue the painted head on, usually just a small drop of two-part epoxy in the torso hole is plenty and leaves no visible glue residue.

The Hornet heads and hands are just about the best that you can get. There are a few others (Alpine, for instance) that are comparable, and many, many that don't even come close.

Enjoy using and painting them! They're worth the money and effort.

HTH,
 _GOTOTOP