VAB Gunners station
10digitdeeo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
hello!

I'm in the process of building a stop-grap upgrade VAB intbetween the VAB and the VAB TOP, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the turret. I have the upgraded gun (not the .50 with the long feed tray), and also, if the vehicle was stopped for mine clearance, would there be a gunner in the turret?

Also, would they be wearing a helmet, or a tank crew helpmet?

Thanks!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi Alex

I can't help you with your first question, but this may help with the second one

Looks like there's nobody in the turret of the VAB (which is fitted with a LEMIR mine roller)...

H.P.
10digitdeeo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC
Great, that helps! that picture is almost what I want to do...it saves converting a figure!

Thanks!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 05:23 AM UTC
You're welcome Alex. Here's another French sapper in action (in Lebanon BTW) :

H.P.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 06:31 AM UTC
I'd say the gunner should be at his station.
On the picture, you can hardly notice a rounded shape on the left of the ammo can under the first jammer antenna. I guess this is the top of the helmet.
In the CB127 cupola, the gunner head is "normally" not popping up as a safety measure. As the HMG is manually operated if you want to aim you have to keep your head low.
Concerning the helmet, except in some vehicles (command version for example) the gunner usually wears a combat helmet. But to ease communication with the driver you can see some with the soft tank crew one with headsets and a mike.

Last point, I can't understand what you mean by upgraded .50 gun and the version between VAB and VAB TOP. Could you please post a picture to help understanding? It would be easier to help.

TIA

Olivier
10digitdeeo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
And he would most likely be wearing a normal infantry helmet, not a crew commander type bucket?

Also, perhaps this veers on off-topic, if I were doing this as 8eme Chasseur Alpin in Afghanistan (Task Force Tiger '09), what would be the make up of the section? As I understand it, the Driver/radio-gunner are separate, then there would be a 300m team, and a 600m team, plus the section leader? What kind of weaponry/manpower would be in one VAB?

Olivier, for the upgraded gun i meant this one -->

http://www.phpshopxml.com/blamod.shop/CID/baaa3c0ba7d75ff9560d412ed81acadd/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/BL35141K

It looks like a remote weapons station, or is it still manually fired?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd say the gunner should be at his station.
On the picture, you can hardly notice a rounded shape on the left of the ammo can under the first jammer antenna. I guess this is the top of the helmet.

Hi Olivier

I had noticed that as well, but to me it looked to small to be a head I trust your opinion !

Quoted Text

It's a remote weapon station indeed, the Kongsberg Protector. You'll find some pics of the VAB TOP in this thread :
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/171977

TOP = Télé-OPéré = remote controlled

H.P.
10digitdeeo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
Bien, je devrais savoir ca.

Thanks for everyone's help, now to get to building!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And he would most likely be wearing a normal infantry helmet, not a crew commander type bucket?

Most probably yes.

Quoted Text

Also, perhaps this veers on off-topic, if I were doing this as 8eme Chasseur Alpin in Afghanistan (Task Force Tiger '09), what would be the make up of the section?

There is no 8eme bataillon de chasseurs alpins. The three bataillons are the 7eme, the 13eme and the 27eme. TF Tiger was manned by the 27eme.

Quoted Text

As I understand it, the Driver/radio-gunner are separate, then there would be a 300m team, and a 600m team, plus the section leader? What kind of weaponry/manpower would be in one VAB?

You're right.
The 300m team have basically FAMAS rifles and AT4CS while the 600m team have a 5.56mm Minimi, a grenade launcher. The basic weapon in a VAB is the M2 HMG. Most of them have the QCB even with the manually operated cupola. In Afghanistan some supplemental Minimi or M2 have been mounted on field modified supports at the rear of the troop compartment.

Quoted Text

Olivier, for the upgraded gun i meant this one -->

http://www.phpshopxml.com/blamod.shop/CID/baaa3c0ba7d75ff9560d412ed81acadd/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/BL35141K

This is the Konsberg RWS named TOP (see the post above for the meaning). It is basically the same one on the Strykers but the French army did not fit the smoke grenades launchers.

Olivier
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Olivier
I had noticed that as well, but to me it looked to small to be a head I trust your opinion !

HP, it's just a guess. The gunner could have dismounted or simply be seated.
Anyway thanks for your trust

Olivier
10digitdeeo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 09:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the correction! I don't know how I wrote 8eme, I meant 27eme....

Thanks again for all the info, most helpful!
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 538 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Olivier

HP, it's just a guess. The gunner could have dismounted or simply be seated.
Anyway thanks for your trust

Olivier

If they are on mission I can't think of a valid situation in which the gunner should not be in his turret scanning his sector of fire. If you need some, I took some pictures of VAB turrets when I was in Afghanistan in 2010, both the manned and unmanned variants. Every one of the VAB's I saw there was different though, it seemed like not one of them was ever the same.
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 04:42 AM UTC
Here are some pictures, these guys were just into Bagram from a mission in Kapisa and were taking a break before heading back out.

TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 04:45 AM UTC
Forgot to mention this, one thing I found interesting is the French .50 cal ammo cans, they are the old WWII style cans, not the modern NATO simple style cans we used. Also as was said already, they had a mix of QCB .50's and older non QCB .50's as you can see in the pictures.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 05:17 AM UTC
THX Steeve for these pics.
I have seen a 1st RI' VAB returning from A-Stan with another weapon station. Similar to the CROW :

TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen on a 1st RI' VAB returning from A-Stan with another weapon station. Similoa to the CROW :

That is the same Konigsberg RWS at in my pictures. Check out the optics, same set up. It does appear that they added the armor from the CROWS II to protect the optics from the side though, interesting.

One interesting thing I just noticed in your picture, the M2 still has the old WWII style optic mount on the receiver. I can see it in one of my pictures too but most of mine have the weapon super elevated so we can't see the receiver. It would seem then, that a WWII M2 set would be most appropriate for modern French forces, as long as you're not replicating a QCB variant.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen on a 1st RI' VAB returning from A-Stan with another weapon station. Similoa to the CROW :

Hello Pascal happy new year !

I believe these additionnal plates on each sides of the optics appeared on the VAB Ultima.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the precision.
Manufacturer is Kongsberg :
http://www.kongsberg.com/en/kps/products/remoteweaponstation/

What is QCB. TIA
Removed by original poster on 01/08/13 - 17:45:51 (GMT).
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 05:47 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

T

Hello Pascal happy new year !

I believe these additionnal plates on each sides of the optics appeared on the VAB Ultima.

Thanks. The VAB from the First RI seems to be VAB TOP not Ultima
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is QCB. TIA

QCB = Quick Change Barrel

On a side note, one of the VABs in Steve's pics is fitted with ceramic armor. The tiles are usually covered with a rubberish covering (a.k.a. "shark skin" ) but you can see some tiles on the turret.

ceramic armor

H.P.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 07:23 AM UTC
THX Frenchy.
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the precision.
Manufacturer is Kongsberg :
http://www.kongsberg.com/en/kps/products/remoteweaponstation/

What is QCB. TIA

QCB is a quick change barrel set up that does away with use adjustable head space and timing and also installed a quick change barrel. FN came up with one going on 30 years ago, it's been adopted across the world. The United States Army is just recently implementing this as the M2A1. Biggest outward change is the handle on the barrel and the next barrel support.

_GOTOTOP