_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: 48th Scale
1/48 scale discussion group hosted by Rob Gronovius
Hosted by Darren Baker
Wespe 1:48 Faun L900 with crane (AKA Lk5)
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
I ordered this and their Bailey Bridge. The bridge is fine, outside of the items noted in reviews, but I'm really disappointed by the Faun. Besides the amateurish instructions (crudely-drawn exploded view) - which ignore the rigging, the radiator grill is solid, and the side louvers on the hood are big chunky strips glued onto the master.

Any chance that there's a PE set for this? Or, generic 1:48 louvers that I could use?

Is Wespe generally considered poor quality? They seem to have some unusual items in multi-scales, but this has put me off them. Supposedly their 1:35 kit for this has PE, but their photo (unless it’s actually the 1:48 version) indicates the same treatment of the hood.

thanks, Charles
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 11:26 PM UTC
I've ordered a couple Wespe Models kits myself in the past off Ebay. Some parts were hot glued to a card backing and broke apart upon removal, many parts were crudely made and truck cabs were really off in measurements. I wound up trying to do alot of reworking of a Dodge cab and eventually tossed it in a box over a year ago through frustration. So I know how you feel! On the plus side, I have heard good comments on some of their work. Just trying to remember which kits they were talking about.
With your model you have two choices, try to live with it or scratchbuild new louvers with thin plastic strips that have been carved/sanded to the proper shape. Very tedious work but the results look much better. I really don't know of any PE Louvers in that size, sorry.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 03:34 AM UTC
Do you think the Archer Fine Transfers "O scale louvers" might improve the look of the hood a bit?

http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88086.html

Hisham
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 03:46 AM UTC
I can only share your sentiments on Wespes products.
Calling them basic is actually a compliment.
They only sell you well something that is pretty much the shape if the vehicle but for the rest you either have to live with it or scratchbuilding. What I think is the worst part that they are not exactly cheap. And if you look around at what other companies produce for the same price or less it feels double bad.

It is annoying they have so many unique subjects. I bought a 1:35 Steyr 250 at half price at an event and upon coming home and actually see what was inside the box I still felt like they stole my money.
 _GOTOTOP