_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
M24 “ Chaffee”
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Dave DaSilva takes a look at what''s new in Bronco''s third version of the M24 Chaffee - the post-war tank sold around the world.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:19 PM UTC
The picture is for the Korean War version but the text is for the Post War version with the ARVN/Pakistani etc options
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 07:24 PM UTC
Nice and quick review that captures all the necessary info. However I agree that the box art pic is for the wrong version...

This version was actually more or less covered by the first edition Italeri Chaffee, in particular the tracks and flotation device mounts. Of course the Bronco offering is miles ahead...

Cheers!
Stefan
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 08:07 PM UTC
Indeed - someone mixed up something here. The box art image is wrong. The review is for this kit:

The review is confusing with the wrong box art, as it shows the Korean War version, and the reviewer states that the kit cannot be backdated to Korean War version... It is true of course for the "Asian Army Force" version, which was the subject of the review.

Also the kit part number given in the summary is wrong, should be 35072. Nationality is given us "United Kingdom" - huh?... And the review title should identify clearly the kit reviewed, like "M24 Chaffee Post War Version", not just "M24 Chaffee"...

Very nice review, not so good editorial work.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:50 AM UTC
There's no reason this kit can't be a Korean war vintage vehicle.

The tracks are the only thing holding it back from being a WWII version.

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 03:37 AM UTC
Well caught, gentlemen! Oops... (As they say, "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys"! ) Serves me right for being a bit too quick on the trigger. Still, all sorted now (Thanks James!) so all is right with the world.

Tom
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 01:48 PM UTC
Jesse,

See point point 7 in my differences section i.e. the road wheel rims are different for the post war version versus the Korean or World War 2 version which I believe is another reason it cannot be back dated out of the box.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse,

See point point 7 in my differences section i.e. the road wheel rims are different for the post war version versus the Korean or World War 2 version which I believe is another reason it cannot be back dated out of the box.

Hey Dave,

I never found any documentation for the introduction of the revised road wheels. Being that ALL Chaffees were built prior to the end of WWII, I figured they were just a revised design that came along at some point. The rubber block tracks 'make sense' as to why they came later, but I couldn't figure out the road wheel change.
 _GOTOTOP